Lifelong Kindergarten: how to learn like a kid, by the co-creator of Scratch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/04/passion-play-peers-projects.html

Mitchel Resnick is one of the most humane, accomplished and prolific creators of educational technology in the world, one of the co-creators of Logo and Lego Mindstorms, and founder the MIT Media Lab’s Lifelong Kindergarten group, where the open source, kid-friendly, open-ended Scratch software development tool was born; in a new book (also called “Lifelong Kindergarten: Cultivating Creativity through Projects, Passion, Peers, and Play”) Resnick analyzes the extraordinary successes that have emerged from his kid-centered view of learning with technology, sketching out a future in which kids program their classroom computers, not the other way around.

I must be a 50-something kid, because I’ve always learned this way. For example, my desire to build a pirate radio station from scratch required me to learn all about RF circuit design in my thirties, which skill set eventually landed me a cushy day job in a university radio astronomy group.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.