Liquid gold

[Alberta oil sands have entered the chat]

Somehow, there’s a huge push to complete more and more pipelines to move the nastiest, hardest to extract oil in the world from an equally inept provincial government. I wonder what the difference is? /s

4 Likes

Just, FYI… the gas station I usually get my gas from was just under $4 this morning and when I drove back past it a couple of hours later it had gone up to $4.29.

5 Likes

I’ve seen $4.99 already. Average today is around $4.50. (NoVa)

Meanwhile…

8 Likes

Hmm, for her, that’s a pretty weird flex. :thinking:

6 Likes

I most likely won’t go out again until Thursday, but I’m sure it will be higher by then around here… and I’ll have to get gas by then too.

6 Likes

Strange bedfellows, but I guess oil will do that to you.

5 Likes

There was just news where some spokesman or other was talking about how the Russia crisis proved we should revisit building Keystone XL of all things. :rage:

I don't want to live on this planet

9 Likes

:face_vomiting:

8 Likes

The part of Omar’s satement talking about how it’s not principaled to make up the shortfall by cozying up to Saudi Arabia (which has done some reprehensible shit under MBS and is currently at war in Yemen) was correct, but that still doesn’t justify continuing to fund Russia by purchasing their oil at the same time we’re shipping weapons to the country they’re invading.

We could get by without buying oil from either country without too huge of a sacrifice.

9 Likes

It’s been at ~$5.70/gal for days now here in SoCal.

6 Likes

Indeed. I wonder if this is her saying, “Fuck you” to the Ukrainians, and that based on their border guards’ treatment of Black African refugees.

2 Likes

“I think ultimately, this is not going to end well for the the actual people of Russia," she said.

Heiße Scheiße. You know for whom WW2 also didn’t end well? For the actual people in Germany.

That kinda happens when you start a war of aggression and conquest, especially when you lose it.

As of now, Russians have it still easy. Well, not the soldiers conscripted for a “special military operation to de-nazifiy a country led by a Jewish liberal.” Nor the anti-war protestors who apparently get jailed by the thousands. But everyone else? Easy mode. Compared to these pesky Ukrainian natives who refuse to give up or flee the country by the millions.

3 Likes

I was at a panel on Ukraine yesterday, and the economist made the point that as far as oil goes, the US can look to Mexico, Canada, and then a list of choices that run from “bad” to “really bad,” and that given our dependence on oil we’re going to have to decide which is the “least shitty” regime. There aren’t a lot of other alternatives.

3 Likes

I think you know, though, that I was referring to “not a lot of other alternatives to where to purchase oil.” Obviously converting to renewables is much better.

8 Likes

If you look at the stats in this report we’re in a much better position than we have been in a long, long time to just refuse to buy oil from shitty regimes. Not only are we currently a net exporter, but right now we’re only getting 8% of our imports from the Persian Gulf countries (and less than that from Russia.

4 Likes

Yes, but most of what we’re exporting is refined petroleum, while importing crude. One way to solve the “continue to use gasoline, and keep it cheap” is to stop exporting so much refined gas.

And, the “net import” trend is not forecast to continue:

3 Likes

These will take decades to finally cement a persisting change in the American urban lifestyle. In the short term, we need to fund things like public transit and car pooling if there’s any immediate reduction in petrol consumption.

8 Likes

No, I really am not. I have met far to many, even well-meaning people, who are literally unable to imagine not using a car.

1 Like

The key was at the beginning of the sentence, where I wrote “as far as oil goes” and then followed it with a discussion of where to purchase oil, and followed that with “not a lot of alternatives.” I’ll try to write more clearly in the future, though. It’s not the first time today that I thought something I had written was pretty clear when others did not.

4 Likes

No problem. Very likely my bad.I admit that I’m pretty biased against car-culture, perceived or otherwise, seeing how many drivers seemingly try to kill me and mine.

Rant: Just last Friday – rode back with my kid cycling in front of me and some %&$§/(( driver had to overtake the other cyclist coming towards us, leaving about 50 cm between either of us. Law says 1.5 m, by the way, but whenever you mention that you’ll get a “But what abaout your blacks".

1 Like