Liquid gold

14 Likes

That’s 5.6 liters / 100 km, which is genuinely pretty good.

2 Likes

Smart – though of course smaller – has under 5 litres. Without electrical help, which will come on top of the Ford. VW Lupo managed 3.5, was very popular with Pizza delivery services.

So on the hand hand, it IS pretty good because people want smaller cars better mileage.
OTOH, it’ll probably just mean that the gains will get eaten up by the rebound effect until lawmakers say “Tough luck, you aren’t allowed more than that many grams of CO₂ per km.”

2 Likes

Or, to put it in terms that red-blooded Americans are familiar with, approximately 1 football field (100 yards) per teaspoon.

4 Likes

Why don’t we do the sensible thing and express volume / length as an area? This is 0.56 mm2 or, if you prefer to express it in terms of font sizes, 4.5 square points.

4 Likes

miss jay gif GIF

7 Likes

The good news for people with short commutes is that there are a ton of older Nissan Leafs available for under $8k. (Unfortunately those are the ones with worn out batteries that may only get you 30 miles of range or so, but that’s still enough for a lot of people)

6 Likes

Or about half a football field per barn-megaparsec

5 Likes

10 Likes

This asshole

13 Likes

Just codifying a work-from-home mandate for everyone who can and chooses to would make a huge impact. Not just in terms of the reduction in cars on the street but the very nature of traffic in most big cities would fundamentally change. And it would be an immediate impact.

9 Likes

You can tell that trolling Pete is one of her favorite parts of her job

10 Likes

To be honest I get less enjoyment watching these interactions than many others on this forum seem to. It often feels to me like there’s too much of a wink-wink “we’re both just doing our jobs for the sake of appearances” kinda thing, like the Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog characters on the Loony Tunes cartoons who are just clocking in for a day’s work:

Psaki has acknowledged that there’s a “performative aspect” to these on-camera exchanges, which I’m not really a big fan of.

5 Likes

It literally doesn’t matter WHAT they do, they will frame it as “the radical left” acting bad.

2 Likes

Yep, same here.

It is nice in a way to see a smart woman up there sparring with corporate-media hacks, but i have little doubt she’s got her sights firmly set on the future, when like her predecessors, she’ll leverage the exposure for a much more lucrative gig sometime soon.

8 Likes

Feel what you’re going to feel and all that, but what did you imagine the job of the WH press Secretary to be? They have press conferences in front of cameras for a reason.

5 Likes

True, and she basically does her job well, but every Secretary has their own style with some being more “performative” (her word, not mine) than others. There are 48 other reporters in the room and I feel like she’s intentionally calling on that idiot Doocy so frequently in order to create these little viral clips, which works both to the White House’s advantage (giving her an effective foil) and also to Doocy’s, as it raises his profile.

1 Like
5 Likes
10 Likes

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

5 Likes