LISTEN: Interview with Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror

I get this, and when I comment on your site(s), I will totally hew to it. Easy.

In contrast, here I hew to what I observe, that BBS tends to be on or off topic plus or minus banana percent.

For a brief moment I had Level 4 ‘powers’, accidentally, which I used only to split off-topic comments into their own threads. Give a derailer their own rail, very few will follow them down the rabbit hole. and those that do aren’t affecting the original conversation anymore.

I think it’s a great strength of the platform, if community moderation heads in that direction then I think you’ve made something that can get to conversation within 20% tolerances. Falcor will always be helpful.

I also think maybe the linking of other commenters into conversations might need to be tweaked. I’d love to be able to turn off someone ability to rope me into/ refer to me/ reply to me in conversation individually. Or at least to turn off notifications from a single user without turning off notifications for all users? Some folks grate on each other, and it might help with that if one party has a way to opt out of engagement.

Still listening to the podcast. Pleasantly meta.

edit: because i really did listen to the end: I bought a CODE before I knew of the association. I’ve tried several backlit keyboards, and this is the finest one I have yet owned. Needed a better cable. Has one now.

1 Like