Listen to an AI Johnny Cash sing Aqua's "Barbie Girl"

Originally published at: Listen to an AI Johnny Cash sing Aqua's "Barbie Girl" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

last few seconds over the credits.

:musical_note: I’m a barbie girl in a Barbie World :musical_note:

5 Likes

… somebody with a time machine should go back to 1994 and convince Rick Rubin to have Johnny Cash do the Smiths’ “Unloveable” :thinking:

1 Like

I still am on the fence about this kinda stuff, but I have to admit it was a great to listen to.

4 Likes

This is exactly what AI should be used for - blasphemous perversities that otherwise wouldn’t exist.

8 Likes

dear god no GIF

1 Like

This might be a bit pedantic, but that’s not the Aqua song. It’s Barbie World by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice, which heavily samples the 1997 hit.

3 Likes

There is but one true Barbie song:

& I bet it’s not in the movie

7 Likes

Eh I heard better AI covers

1 Like

Reminder: Johnny Cash was a treasure.

9 Likes

I’d like to see an AI Johnny Cash try some Nine Inch Nails, or even Depeche Mode.

(and then compare it to the covers he did do.)

2 Likes

Or anything by Joe Strummer.

This is pure evil.

1 Like

Ah, I was all excited: I thought I was about to blow your mind until I tapped on the spoiler bit.

Mark Ronson breaks down the soundtrack here, looks like a lot of fun was had - and some mad crunch deadlines:

“I’m just Ken / Anywhere else, I’d be a 10,” he sings, before the song explodes into a Hair-style rocker, with guitars by Slash and Wolfgang Van Halen.

Originally intended for an (unnamed) pop star, Gosling lobbied to sing it himself.

He came straight from the set to Ronson’s studio, with the producer transposing the track to a lower key, to make it easier to sing.

“But each time he sang it, I was like, ‘He sounds killer, l think we can bump it up,’ until we were back in the original key,” he recalls.

"I was over the moon because, at first, I was like, ‘Okay, maybe the song won’t be as good as the demo’ but in the end he exceeded the demo.

“And then when I first saw the film, with him actually acting out the song, I was like, ‘Of course!’ Because he knew that, at some point, he’d be acting out these lyrics, so he was already doing it in the studio.”

doll

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.