Listen to the original version of "Superman," the 1969 pop-psych song that REM covered

Of course, the first ‘Superman’ song I think of isn’t actually titled Superman, but ‘Kryptonite’

1 Like

That’s okay. I always think of this one when someone says “Superman song.”

5 Likes

I had a couple friends who had the “find really cool obscure stuff” thing going on in the 80s and early 90s. They were all involved with college radio.

[grandpa Simpson voice] “When I was your age, Spotify was called ‘College Radio’!”

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, but it isn’t my thing. I went and listened to Laurie Anderson’s “O Superman” instead.

4 Likes

the clique also did a peppy cover of one of my favorite 13th floor elevators songs:

2 Likes

this band was so underrated, i think due to their public image as a novelty. those first two albums are masterpieces, and the ones that followed, while not as memorable, have some great work on them too.

1 Like

sure, i was there too (shows onion on my belt), and definitely my college radio friends were clued into obscure stuff, but this just seems so niche. how did some a rare track from a small group in Texas find its way to Michael Stipe’s ears… it just seems like hitting the lottery, it’s such a perfect marriage.

2 Likes

hey thanks, man!
I missed a Blockada app update and the internet broke for me but I thought it was my phone provider until I realized the issue today. so I could read BB.net but BBS.BB.net would not load. so I was like “I just posted this recently!” to my apartment that day, and once I fixed my phone I came to this thread to say “I just posted this recently!” but you had done so expediently.
good looking out!

here are both my versions:

@pesco as you can see the track listing on the label lists “Superman” however it is absent on the listing on the cover. so the tape and CD versions probably didn’t have the listing at all, but because you have to target the tracks by eye on the vinyl, that’s why it’s on the label? but the label also erroneously credits all songs to R.E.M., so that’s weird. did they done goof’d, or did they think such an obscurity from a small defunct label wouldn’t notice that another small-time label had released the song, or just that they wouldn’t be able to fight back legally?
I suppose you’d get different answers depending on who you asked.

ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah - ah

3 Likes

I mean, how did one-hit-wonders the Standell’s (the hit being “Dirty Water” as in “but I love that dirty water! ahh-ohh-h Boston you’re my home”) non-hit song “Sometimes Good Guys Don’t Wear White” end up being covered by hardcore punk legends Minor Threat? musicians are record nerds and game recognize game. it’s weird but not that weird.

oh yeah, Blondie’s “Hangin’ on the Telephone” is a Nerves cover:

L7 does a great version, too.

3 Likes

The original version of “Crazy” was by Pylon (also from Athens)

4 Likes

There are so many great moods on that album, but this song is on another level. It’s crazy what you could’ve had…

1 Like

Half A World Away still does it for me every time

1 Like

I like the original one better as well, personally I am not a fan of the first few seconds in REM’s version. But in all honesty, I like this version best amongst the ones I have listened to: Superman

Agreed, but I guess King of the Road is the closest we’re gonna get

3 Likes

Half A World Away >> Texarkana >> Country Feedback

…might be one of the greatest 3-song runs I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

My favorite Superman song has to be

1 Like

but have you heard this one

4 Likes

truly the best version.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.