Another cover songs thread!

As usual, better than the original is the category.

The rules: Share the cover; share the original; commentary optional.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll start:

Hillbendersā€™ cover of MGMTā€™s ā€œKidsā€

The original:

Commentary:
The instrumental theme seems made for the banjo somehow. Much better than the whiny synth organ in the original. Something about the bluegrass harmonies and lyrical themes in the chorus just seem to make the whole thing work. The original feels like a missed opportunity.

3 Likes

[not a cover song]

From the new Haiduk album ā€˜Exomancerā€™ [metal]

Welcome to BoingBoing!

This thread is dead enough that I donā€™t even care if you made an account just to shill your band.

Nice tune.

1 Like

Sorry, Iā€™m going to bend the rules a bit. Not better but as close to as good as anything else Iā€™ve heard.

The original, among my favourite tunes. :slight_smile:

ETA: Damn! After listening againā€¦maybe the cover is better. Iā€™m not so sure anymore, lol.

1 Like

The court of public opinion is against me in deeming this

better than this

1 Like

Kinda fun:

Much more fun:

8 Likes

Better if you like twee versions of electronic songs:

Original:

Cover of a ā€œtraditional southern tune from out of Georgiaā€ :

Original:

A seriously paranoid and timeless cover:

Of Public Enemy:

Is it considered a cover if the singer is the same?

The original by Horace Andy:

The ā€œcoverā€ by Massive Attack, with Horace Andy contributing vocals:

3 Likes

Uwe Schmidt rocks.

6 Likes

Rare Earth didnā€™t do the original.

On a related note, Iā€™ve long preferred Rodā€™s version of ā€œDrift Awayā€ to Dobie Grayā€™s, but Grayā€™s version isnā€™t the original either.

2 Likes

What if bands cover themselves, does this count?

If youā€™d say this is weird, Iā€™d agree with you.
It is, however, a very faithful translation of the lyrics.
1 Like

Tough choice.

8 Likes

A medley of covers from the Circle Jerks! What they lack in finesse they make up in volume:

Are the covers better than the originals? Mmmā€¦mostly not, but theirs will always be the definitive versions of Afternoon Delight and D-I-V-O-R-C-E as far as Iā€™m concerned.

2 Likes

While Iā€™m at it, who can forget (or forgive) Sid Viciousā€™ version of My Way?

[TW maybe?] Iā€™d forgotten that he shoots the audience at the end. That hasnā€™t aged well.

Yeah, even Frankā€™s tie is better. In Sidā€™s defense though, if you gave Frank as much heroin as Sid probably had in his system, he probably wouldnā€™t have been able to stand up, never mind sing.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Iā€™d forgotten that the Temptations did it first.

1 Like
2 Likes

Hadnā€™t seen the Massive Attack video, great stuff! Like a dream. And yeah, parking garages are scary places!

Also makes me think someone should start a thread here ā€“ ā€œDescribe a situation that made you run.ā€

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to post this one as Iā€™m a huge Dylan fan, butā€¦you knowā€¦Jimi!

I canā€™t find the original by itself so this will have to do.

ETA: Also; everybody and his brother seems to have covered it, lol.

Thatā€™s pretty good. That Dixie vibe really suits the song.

2 Likes

Far superior to the original!

When I was in junior high some friends and I did a cover of Devoā€™s cover at a school music assembly. We were awful. That was my first public performance. It was followed by many many more cringeworthy appearances.

Hereā€™s the vanilla Rolling Stones version.

2 Likes