Another cover songs thread!

I think Sussudio was always meant to be 8-bit theme music.

Look at those padded shoulders!

1 Like

Gorgeous.

I remember wondering why Phil was singing a love song to his studio. :thinking:

4 Likes

I remember being blown away when this first came out as the song isn’t exactly in this band’s wheelhouse, but they do a great job.

I don’t hate Elvis but I LOVE the Residents version.

3 Likes

I love the intent of this thread, although the “better than original” requirement can stifle good submissions out there; JMHO. We’re talking about music here… not football stats. One person’s “better than original” is another person’s “are you crazy?” So, here are my submissions…for “better” or worse. :slight_smile: Brief info shown below in the order of links presented:

Dick Burnett (1913) Man of Constant Sorrow… covered by Osaka Popstar (2006)
Blitzstein, Weill, & Brecht (1928) Mack the Knife… covered by Bobby Darin (1959)
Simon & Garfunkel (1964) The Sound of Silence… covered by Disturbed (2015)

3 Likes

Yeah, “better” is really not a great metric, though sometimes it’s the obvious one for cover songs. I guess one thing I want to avoid is the “why bother” cover song (Smash Mouth’s cover of “I’m a Believer” springs to mind). If the cover doesn’t bring something worthwhile in addition to or in contrast to the original, I don’t wanna hear it.

2 Likes

I hear you on the “why bother part”, but my read on BBSers is that they will make fine efforts and share what they consider to be the good stuff. Perhaps, as categories go, stating “your favorite covers” (as a requirement) may be more useful. That said, other posters here (breaking the rules, apparently) have (unnecessarily, in my opinion) had to preface their submissions with caveats (ex: “Sorry, I’m going to bend the rules…”) for covers that I really liked. If they had followed the rule, I would not have learned of these very listenable covers.

3 Likes

And then there’s @haiduk, who on the one hand totally gave the rules a pass, but on the other hand managed to float the topic to the top of the list and bring it back to life. So a win for everyone, I guess.

3 Likes

Inadvertent win-wins are the best. :slight_smile:

I knew nothing of Senor Coconut until today. (The guy is German!) Excellent arrangements!

1 Like

And yet so good at singing kraftwerk tunes in English with a Spanish accent (which is part of the fun, pretty hilarious actually).

4 Likes

The video no longer exists (Thanks, AV Club!) but this cover of Shake It Off by the Screaming Females has it all:

It also lacks something that T. Swift’s version (unfortunately) has, which is the rapping part, and so much the better.

Between that bridge and the awkward part of “Blank Space,” I think the lesson is that talk breaks don’t work great for Taylor Swift.

3 Likes

I have always loved the XTC deconstruction of this song.

4 Likes

Speaking of deconstructions by way of Jimi Hendrix:

2 Likes

Sorry this is not exactly on topic but related. I made a spotify playlist of all the songs that I can think of that have been covered by Evan Dando and the Lemonheads over the years. This is just the original versions (or in the case of songs that have had many versions, I picked the version that likely inspired them). If you know Evan Dando, you’ll know he has a certain taste for picking great songs to cover. Which observation prompted me to make this playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/12183972100/playlist/0FPT59ppldGgZZvL81Q2jw?si=3efFZX-jRTKE5oWOJRYRTg

1 Like

I’ll have to take your word for it or hunt it up later. I can’t watch the video as I am in Canada. National security and all, lol.

(You know the original)

I was actually looking for my favourite instrumental version. Thing is, the band is called Swinger Club. Search results were interesting, but at the end of the day fruitless.

But I found this site which lists cover versions, and it had some I didn’t knew:

https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/22493/versions

Bob Dylan is always a fascinating source of covers. Here’s a slightly more obscure one:

Original:

Another artist who’s an interesting source for great covers is Patty Griffin. Here’s one of her more famous songs covered by a legend:

Original:

1 Like

That’s a funny one since Springsteen wrote and originally recorded Blinded by the a Light, but the cover by Manfred Mann was way more well known.

1 Like