Another cover songs thread!

Any discussion of covers that extend and expand on the original has to include Laibach. This is, IMNSHO, one of the best.

The Queen original is such white bread pomp rock that it’s easy not to listen to the lyrics. Putting them front and centre and translating them into German makes that less easy.
3 Likes

Meh. They don’t mention Gebratenes Huhn once.

Sorry, roast chicken? IDGI.

Perhaps Google Translate lied to me. It’s supposed to be the German for fried chicken.

Still don’t get it.

“Fried chicken” is the last line of the original Queen version.

1 Like

Duh me. I lived the seventies but obviously wasn’t paying attention. Thanks.

1 Like

I love that record! I heard the XTC version of All Along The Watchtower before hearing either the Dylan or the Hendrix version. I remember being kind of shocked when I discovered the original.

1 Like

Turn it up!

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Bobby Darin’s Mack the Knife. :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Among the great things about Dylan is he’ll cover his own stuff. :slight_smile:

Wow. Impressive. I had no idea…

1 Like

Lonely Goatherder… Never thought I’d say this, but it looks like they are having fun here… They did a whole album from the sound of music after their performance in NK…

And of course, Sympathy for the Devil cover:

And the beatles, too:

4 Likes

Always loved Nanci Griffith’s cover album, Other Voices, Other Rooms…

Covering John Prine (with Prine):

And Maxwell’s glorious cover of Kate Bush’s This Woman’s Work:

And also glorious, This Mortal Coil covering Tim Buckley…

And also TMC covering Roy Harper:

Or if you prefer, Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel covering the same song:

And TMC covering Alex Chilton:

5 Likes

The original by The Carpenters:

And the Sonic Youth version, which I still blast regularly:

ETA: okay so the Carpenters weren’t the original. That was Delaney and Bonnie in 1969. The Carpenters were the best known version, in 1971.

3 Likes

Wow I had no clue that the Massive Attack version was a cover. Although, the two songs dont have a hell of a lot in common, stylistically speaking. Thanks!

1 Like

Such a great version!

How about Tori Amos covering Joe Jackson:

And covering Kate Bush:

And a chilling cover of Eminem 97’ Bonnie and Clyde:

That whole album is fantastic…

Amanda and Jack Palmer covering Richard Thompson’s 1952 Vincent Black Lightning:

Here’s the original:

Or John Cale covering Leonard Cohen:

And LC himself live:

The Cale version is canonical, as far as I’m concerned… I love LC, but Cale just kills it.

Coil’s version of Tainted Love (with special guest appearance in the vid of Marc Almond):

the original version by Gloria Jones:

And since I mentioned Cale, how about a cover of VUs Sister Ray by Joy Division:

7 Likes

The CD of Tori Amos’ “Crucify” includes covers of
Rolling Stone’s ‘Angie’, Nirvana’s ‘Smells like Teen Spirit’, and Led Zeppelin’s “Thank You”. It was one of about 5 CDs I brought to Bosnia back in '98. Imagine if you will, a squad of Soldiers going to sleep at night in a tent to the sounds of Tori Amos.

1 Like

Only on BB can I discover others who’ve even heard of The Residents.

3 Likes