Listen to Yola, an extinct dialect of English

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/05/listen-to-yola-an-extinct-dialect-of-english.html

15 Likes

Neat. Just a heads up, @beschizza: your hyperlink to what was perhaps intended to be this is broken.

16 Likes

Any language where you’re required to sing places me at a distinct disadvantage.

13 Likes

This [language/linguistics] is my jam!

Thank you, Rob and bOINGbOING.

11 Likes

It reminds me of Chaucerian English with an Irish lilt… and like Chaucer, I strongly suspect that it is much easier to understand when seen on a page than when heard.

10 Likes

Not to be confused with YOLO, a dialect that went extinct because its speakers were prone to impulsive high-risk activities.

25 Likes

“Forth and Bargy” could be the name of an obscure 90’s EDM genre.

8 Likes

Sounds a lot like Simlish to me.

6 Likes

That’s the Devil’s music! /s

13 Likes

Well, in Dutch, Jezus (stress on the first syllable) means “Jesus”, but je zus (stress on the second syllable) means “your sister”…

6 Likes

I swear when I first read this headline I thought it said, “Listen to YODA, an extinct dialect.” Pretty sure I was, that Yoda extinct was not.

5 Likes

forth english dialect-of now ?

Most of it is impenetrable to me, but I’m pretty sure they had drive-ins.

3 Likes

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

2 Likes

Huh? I find the exact opposite. I need to sound out middle English in my head to make it easier to parse.

Forth and Bargy sounds like my haphazard approach to living,

This dialect is a bit unclear…
And here I thought the Boston accent was near (or as they say, wicked) impenetrable.

3 Likes

I was expecting to hear a song by The Kinks.

3 Likes

5 Likes
1 Like

Beat me too it! Dangerously close to syncopated.

1 Like