LISTEN: Travel gadgets for your next trip

[Permalink]

“Essential Oil Diffuser”? Shudder.
All that oil coating my eyes, nasal passages, the insides for my lungs? No thanks.

Not to mention the walls, the furniture, the cat…

The scent-organ was playing a delightfully refreshing Herbal Capriccio -
rippling arpeggios of thyme and lavender, of rosemary, basil, myrtle,
tarragon; a series of daring modulations through the spice keys into
ambergris; and a slow return through sandalwood, camphor, cedar, and
new-mown hay (with occasional subtle touches of discord - a whiff of
kidney pudding, the faintest suspicion of pig’s dung) back to the simple aromatics with which the piece began. The final blast of thyme died
away; there was a round of applause

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1679

When we start selecting products to please the overlords of security theater, we’ve officially given up. How about we start buying luggage with denial-of-service as a design feature?

1 Like

Yea! Gadgets is back!

I’m also not quite sure how this is classified as a travel gadget by someone who travels “super light”. (Although my room at a mining camp in Ghana this week could have perhaps used a little fragrance).

1 Like

I keep a booklet of Papier d’Arménie in my travel toiletry kit, just for that contingency.

Would you rather have something easy for them to look through or have them cut it open to have a look inside or worse take your bag off the plane then you so you can open it?

You’re presenting a false dichotomy. I’d rather they present some reasonable explanation for wanting to view the contents of my luggage before accessing it (see Bill of Rights: Fourth Amendment). The fact that so many folks are NOT making the TSA go through the proper steps for justifying a search (and, yes, making everyone wait for it to happen) is part of the reason that security theater is still accepted. If people stood up for their rights, and the TSA actually had to JUSTIFY making everyone wait we could get some bureaucrats fired and institute evidence-based security.

Unfortunately, we’ve had security theater for so long that very few people remember that there was terrorism and hijacking before 2001. We didn’t have any more tragedies than we do now but that didn’t keep people from being able to just show up at an airport, buy a ticket at the last minute without showing ID, and be in the air in less than an hour. Oh, and nobody cared how big our shampoo bottles were or if we had a pair of nail clippers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.