LitHub essay on plagiarism removed due to plagiarism

Originally published at: LitHub essay on plagiarism removed due to plagiarism | Boing Boing

1 Like

Performance art. The term you’re grasping for is performance art.

*chef’s kiss*

6 Likes

Often imitated, never duplicated. With some exceptions …

1 Like

Ooh, I felt that part.

Letterkenny GIF by Crave

4 Likes

If this is “severe” then what are we to say about the person living on the street who can’t assemble two sentences that communicate anything useful?

Consider this another complaint about our clickbait culture and how it cheapens language to the point of meaninglessness.

It’s just mental illness. It doesn’t need to be exceptional to provoke sympathy or notice. This hyperbole coming from a literary journal makes it even more disappointing.

1 Like

Um…I don’t know. Say what you want to about that person. That’s not who the article is about, and that person’s struggles with mental illness do not mean that someone who is not homeless is not struggling with severe mental illness. I think there can be degrees of mental illness, and it can be appropriate to describe them as minor or severe, depending on context. It may not be what you intended to do, but your comment is minimizing this author’s struggles, and I don’t think that’s cool.

If the author in question described her struggles as severe, then it was appropriate for Lit Hub to describe them that way.

6 Likes

THIS.

So very much this.

4 Likes

I would say that also sounds “severe.” :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

lie about small, often inconsequential things
This makes it sound like you think plagiarising a novel is a small and possibly inconsequential thing to do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.