Livable Cities

14 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

it’s very hard to get a whole city onto a tabletop, but the lighting strikes are a bit easier to come by

Its Alive Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

( wait. is that not what livable means??? )

9 Likes

had to look up how to spell it

still doesn’t look right :confused:

7 Likes
12 Likes

Now here’s a thread for me.

Urbanism youtube is basically a good proportion of my feed at this point.

Also, while you’re at it, pop down to the library and get yourself a copy of the foundational text of liveable urbanism:

16 Likes

Amsterdam is one of the most livable cities I have ever visited, and bicycles are so much of the reason*

*Livable as a pedestrian so long as you are ready to fling yourself out of the way the moment that you hear the bring-bring of a oncoming bicycle. Otherwise you die :wink:

16 Likes

22 Likes

Be careful about whose definition of livable you agree to. I just started reading this. It details how Google’s project to build the all-surveillance, all-data-collecting city came apart because of those meddling privacy kids.

7 Likes

Mea culpa: I was a bicycle courier in San Francisco in the early 1970s, as was my FIL in the late 1930s. I considered SF, seven miles square and somewhat hilly, to be a most liveable city – or it was before tech billion$ moved in and drove up prices.

I’ve also resided in Hollyweird, Mendocino, Yucca Valley, and various other exurban and suburban California locales; in Manhattan Kansas and New York; in Boston, Bisbee Arizona, Taxco and Mexico City, Antigua Guatemala; and now a tiny Sierra Nevada mountain hamlet.

My conclusion: smaller urban piles are usually more livable than are bigger ones, irrespective of the presence of bicycle lanes… although bike- and pedestrian-friendliness can be major factors. I recall a Mexican town near Veracruz where crossing the main road required a two-mile walk. Yikes. 8-(

6 Likes

I lived in Mill Hill, London, as a child.
It had a very village / small town feel to me.
There was even a large stream near a railway bridge where we used to swing on an old tyre hung from a tree over the water.
But that was late 60’s - early 70’s.

5 Likes

16 Likes
8 Likes

Why is “* Neutral” actually “Evil, but less evil than the lower evil options”?

12 Likes

That was my first thought about those :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: parking apps! :weary:

7 Likes

it’s “municipal transportation ‘solutions’” so I guess this is more like the Overton window, but for transport.

9 Likes
8 Likes

19 Likes

Qonservative MP Nick Fletcher raises concerns about the Marxists taking away his rights with 15 Minute Cities

16 Likes