Live-action Mulan looks fantastic

I’ll assume the dragon will come eventually. The cast list on IMDB is still incomplete, presumably to hide certain character surprises…but cricket is listed, so Mushu isn’t far behind.

1 Like

Are these actual Asian people playing the Asian people? What were they thinking?

1 Like

Zhang Ziyi is awesome! I generally hate Disney but I may have to make an exception for this one.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the recent live-remakes of Disney stuff, but after seeing Crouching Tiger I’m going to have to take my kiddos out to see this one. They’re both Mulan fans, too. Is Eddie doing Mushu?

Guardian isn’t impressed. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/08/mulan-trailer-is-a-dismal-sign-disney-is-bowing-to-china-anti-democratic-agenda

1 Like

They may have been critical flops, but all did very well financially. The Aladdin remake is about to crest a billion dollars worldwide, and still going strong. Even Christopher Robin handily made a profit.

Thank goodness. I remember seeing the gorgeous concept art for MULAN when it was in early stages of production, and I was excited to see an authentically-themed very serious story of Hua Mulan told through animation. What I got was a goofy Eddie Murphy dragon, some badly-dated crossdressing jokes, and a scene where her ancestor ghosts throw their heads around and have a wacky dance party.

This looks terrific and I’m very much looking forward to it.

Mushu is in it, but he’s a phoenix now, and will have a much more minor role.

2 Likes

Don’ht underestimate the Chinese market potential for this. Same reason Zhang Ziyi shows up in everything these days.

1 Like

I don’t. But I am a little surprised that there isn’t a Chinese language version…

I love everything about this trailer except the hair dressing. Why would Mulan ever look like she’s advertising Pantene extra volume shampoo. It takes me out of the story when I’m asked to admire her hair as she fights.

1 Like
1 Like

It says a lot about Tinseltown that I’m surprised they managed to keep any casting directors from putting wypipo in yellow face. It’s a low bar, but I’m still gratified they cleared it.

To my eye it doesn’t depict more violence, but just by dint of it being live action, whatever violence it does depict is going to look more, well, alive.

For better or worse, blockbusters are now functionally sizable pop-up subsidiaries, and North America no longer the most lucrative market.

3 Likes

If you haven’t seen The Story of Qiu Ju, Raise the Red Lantern, and Ju Dou, with Gong Li, def look them up!

2 Likes

Mulan (2009) - Vicki Zhao (Shaolin Soccer) and Yu Rong Guang (Iron Monkey):

2 Likes

And they know that China is a huge market if you don’t ignore them when casting your movie.

3 Likes

Or take one of their treasured stories, whitewash it, add embarrassing jokes, mock their traditions, and fill it with Stevie Wonder songs.

I kinda feel like this new film is an apology of sorts.

1 Like

I just looked it up and on the low end of Disney live action remakes, Dumbo which flopped still made just $351 million world wide. On the high end, Beauty and the Beast made $1.26 billion world wide. So while that is a really high budget, Disney definitely has the potential in making that back.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.