Live-action Mulan looks fantastic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/08/live-action-mulan-looks-fantas.html

5 Likes
5 Likes

Doesn’t look like a kids movie anymore - looks like it’s more PG13. Not sure how I feel about that, since I was kinda hoping to take my son to it.

The cast looks to be 100% Asian, which means Hollywood is learning from its mistakes (or at least can’t get away with whitewashing because it’s not animated). Thank goodness, Donny Osmond does not appear to be making a return.

ETA: just looked it up, the budget for this movie was $300,000,000. Astounding what it takes to make a movie these days. And astounding that they think that they’ll actually make this back.

2 Likes

Now that is the kind of animated Disney adventure that begs to be live action.

They have had some real flops lately doing this: Dumbo, Aladdin, Christopher Robin.

4 Likes

If “kids movie” to you means pre-k/toddlers who lack the attention span to watch dialogue without songs, I’d have to agree that they are not the target here.

But nothing about the trailer read as PG-13 to me. Mulan is my daughter’s favorite Disney story and she would have loved this when she was in gradeschool.

7 Likes

You really don’t think they’ll make it back?

This looks to me like it’ll be very popular. And let’s not forget the big money in markets beyond the U.S.

6 Likes

I meant kids of the same age that the cartoon appeals to. Could be that it’ll be PG, but the violence in at least one scene in the trailer looked significant enough to possibly warrant a higher rating.

Oh they probably will. But it’s just such an eye-popping number. I remember when a summer blockbuster that made $100,000,000 was rare.

1 Like

I think this will be the best live-action remake yet. I am especially looking forward to the martial arts.

I can’t say any of the other live-action attempts have interested me, but I will be watching this one.

6 Likes

I wonder why they show her training as an undisguised woman.

Oh well, there’s no original Mulan story in the first place (iirc, several early sources have differing details, and there’s no evidence she actually existed).

3 Likes

This trailer nearly had me in tears.

Same here. It reminds me of my great-grandmother, who basically said “screw this noise” when a marriage was arranged for her and instead emigrated on her own as a teenager.

This looks like a great movie for elementary school kids everywhere.

5 Likes

I didn’t see anything more violent than in the cartoon. Obviously the story deals with war, but I doubt there will be gore depicted.

Just my two cents :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Well you’re probably right. The rating system is pretty permissive when it comes to violence (but god forbid there’s a nipple!).

My son is only 6 though, and I wouldn’t let him watch live-action fighting.

2 Likes

Same here. It’s Disney branded, and they’re certainly hoping that fans of the animated version will want to see it, along with their own kids.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

2 Likes

Scarlett Johannsen will bring them back from the brink when she plays Bambi.

3 Likes

Now I’m imagining a version of this which starts out nice, like you’d expect, but as soon as the war begins it goes full unflinching gore, and then descends into an ancient China version of Apocalypse Now, before finishing off with a toe-tapping musical number…

1 Like

I’d laugh at that, but then again i though live action Dumbo was impossible and yet they did it. live action Bambi seems simple almost now that they’ve done Lion king.

8c6c4d97a9bd38baa1d946cb6d1589ec6e13a594_2_525x500

9 Likes

Something’s missing. Where is Eddie Murphy?

5 Likes

I was there, “everybody was kung fu fighting”, I tell ya.

8 Likes