Live mortar shell turns up at Goodwill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/live-mortar-shell-turns-up-at.html

7 Likes

That is a donation that make a real impact!

It’s all I got folks, I’ll see myself out now. :grin:

31 Likes

Someone tried to pass a spent rocket launcher thru BWI recently.

Just another day.

7 Likes

Fuck Goodwill for exploiting the fuck out of a loophole that lets them pay disabled people well below minimum wage.

EDIT: I mean, not that their abusive behavior justifies this happening, if it was intentional

5 Likes

the organization is clear that they don’t accept donations of live ammunition.

Why do they hate America? Sad!

6 Likes

It’s not a launcher. The missile is shipped in a tube. Missile and tube are inserted (kinda like a big bullet) into a launcher rack (there are versions for ground, mobile, helo, or C-130).

Missile launches from the shipping tube, Afterward, the tube is a disposable, non-reusable, non-refillable piece of cheap kipple that gets left strewn all over battlefields.

Calling it a “missile launcher” is just another fear-the-terrrists bit of useless security theater.

13 Likes

No fear here dude. None what so ever. Just wrong terminology. Thank you for the correction.

Kabuki theater is the TSA.

10 Likes

I’ve just checked Goodwill’s list of acceptable donations – and yep – they really don’t accept 60mm M49A2 mortar rounds.

8 Likes

Obligatory:

10 Likes

This and lava lamps do have kind of a similar shape, tho.

9 Likes

Oh, I didn’t mean to criticize you – The TSA called it “a missile launcher”, so it was an instant click-bait news-cycle darling.

The TSA knows better, but they like to keep the Alert Level high, y’knowwhuddimean?

5 Likes

Is my Senior discount work with that? Asking for an old friend…

2 Likes

Grenda

I’m surprised that Goodwill is still a thing. In Canada, they collapsed as a cash-sucking scam.

9 Likes

It’s for hunting.

And self defense.

10 Likes

Man I really gotta see that movie…

2 Likes

Hey stick around, with that kind of materiel you’ll be able to crater to the BB audience. We’ll have a blast.

@semiotix I’m surprised to see how short Nick Frost is. He has such a huge personality I imagine him as being vast, like Robbie Coltrane.

3 Likes

Run%20Away

9 Likes

As a regular Goodwill shopper I can guarantee you they have explosive deals.

But seriously, and this is funnier to me, the main Goodwill in Boston stopped selling pressure cookers after the Boston Marathon bombing. A cashier literally said to me “no we can’t sell this, somebody could make a bomb out of it!”

7 Likes

Huh. I thought that joke would’ve bombed.

4 Likes

Yeah, I snorted out loud at the clip, now I have to go watch that whole movie. Thanks, Happy Mutants…

2 Likes