Living dinosaurs could be recreated within a decade, says paleontologist

What could possibly go wrong?

5 Likes

He’s been saying it’ll be done in 10 years for like 20 years.

He’s also proposing altering chickens to resemble dinosaurs using kind of fuzzy ideas about genetics and atavism. Which won’t teach us much about dinosaurs, and might not even be possible.

The entire concept boils down to Jack Horner thinks it would be cool to make a chickensaurus.

6 Likes

sounds like dinosaur cloning, like cold fusion, remains 20 years away for the forseeable future

2 Likes

Then you will see dinosaur owners ignoring on lead laws and claiming that their little (or big) darling wouldn’t hurt a fly. He’s a vegetarian tyrannosaur you see.

6 Likes

On the plus side we’ll only have to wait five years after that for our fusion-powered truck and hadrosaur trailer to be self-driving.

3 Likes

8 Likes

Was this documentary called “The Flintstones”?

5 Likes

I think he probably means

4 Likes
13 Likes

I want to be that guy!

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was Flintstones. “Oh well, it’s a living!”

1 Like

There has been talk of de-extincting both the passenger pigeon and the moa.

6 Likes

Or the Ted talk 7 years ago:

3 Likes

Meh. Why not recreating giant water sloths ? Way more fun if you ask me, extinct mammals don’t get enough love.

5 Likes

They’d start with a dolphin I suppose.

Dolphin’s hips and hindlimbs are so vestigial, I’d be curious to now if you can even found enough information in their own DNA to recreate them.

2 Likes

Carolina parakeets please!

8 Likes

There are so many parrot species around, it should be fairly easy to breed something like that.

1 Like

Came to ogle the bird pedantry. Leaving with Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

Also, Horner’s dino-resurrection is kind of like flying cars and break-even fusion power…in that they’re the technology of the future and always will be.

(Yeah, we’ll probably have commercial fusion eventually if we make it that long. Please don’t @derail me.)

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m really looking forward to riding to the dino park in my fully autonomous, fusion-powered flying car.

3 Likes