Living dinosaurs could be recreated within a decade, says paleontologist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/09/living-dinosaurs-could-be-recr.html

4 Likes

[IanMalcombwhethertheycouldshould.gif]

Cool! I’m all for it.

8 Likes

There are enough in the Senate already.

23 Likes

Cool storythis link opens in a new tab

16 Likes

Color me skeptical on that timeline. This reads almost exactly like the interviews he was giving on that subject a decade ago.

I guess the lesson is “don’t count your chickenosauruses before they’ve hatched.”

24 Likes

In the sense that we could modify a bird to be more like the classical dinosaurs – maybe. But it would be just guesswork, not really recreating dinosaurs. We’ve since learned that while paleo-DNA may be useful for learning about Neanderthals and other relatively recent organisms, the classic Jurassic and Cretaceous dinosaurs are just too long ago for any meaningful amount of DNA to have survived, whether in amber or no.

11 Likes

Nevermind that the linked article is from 2015, approaching 5 years old at this point :smiley:

8 Likes

So when do these dinosaurs arrive? I have, plans…

16 Likes

Yeah saying a modern-day chicken has all the genetic information you’d need to recreate a Cretaceous-era therapod is kind of like claiming a human carries all the genetic information you’d need to recreate this guy.

14 Likes

Life…uhh… finds a waythis link opens in a new tab

15 Likes

Maybe I’m just I’m a bad mood tonight, but…

Species of frogs go extinct every year, for whom we have extant species in the same genera. Your options:

1. Bring one of those back.
  2. Take the lazy journalists who enable your narcissistic garbage and go straight to hell.
19 Likes

Modern dinosaurs are hatching amongst us already.

If you want my interest, and you want to bring back the big scalies, psudosuchians have some super interesting animals.

4 Likes

Just because you can do a thing doesn’t mean … um …

Hells yeah, let’s whip up some dinosaurs, baby!

2 Likes

Hey, let’s not forget (I love reminding people):

Birds are dinosaurs!

:slight_smile:

:rooster: = :t_rex:

11 Likes

For instance, the intelligence coding genes are surely long gone.

4 Likes

There were even doing such experiments the year the film came out

4 Likes

l
Obligatory XKCD

Bird species, of course, are also being driven extinct, but no one is talking about bringing any of them back.

21 Likes

This could be part of the Green New Deal!

Instead of carbon-spewing cranes and backhoes, we could Jurassic Park some sauropods and put them to work doing the heavy lifting.

There was a documentary series about this on once a week back when I was a little kid.

6 Likes

LOL “This is a Good World”

1 Like

The military would love it. Weaponized velociraptors… for real.

1 Like