Living Tiny

Yah. Our first house (in Winchester - the real one in Hampshire) was ~900 sq.ft. and was sold as a three bedroom family house. Indeed, our old neighbours still live in the mirror-image house 33 years on and have brought up 4 kids there.

The entire building would fit in our current living room. But we still only have three bedrooms…

1 Like

Quality of life improvement.
And, to some extent, larger houses for larger people.

1 Like

I’m glad to see some of the reactions here. I think tiny houses might have a place for certain people but especially if you have a hobby, they just seem ridiculous.

Also, does anybody else think the new minimalist culture is really just a group of people who can afford to buy things the instant they need them?

7 Likes

700-1000 is small, but certainly not tiny. My 2br bungalow is in that range; probably half the houses I insure are small ones. But I recognize there are people who consider anything under 3000 to be tiny.

2 Likes

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a spate of murders caused by families crammed into tiny houses.

Or maybe we just haven’t found the tiny shallow graves yet.

1 Like

I’d retire like this. But I won’t raise kids in it. Wayyy too much noise in a 3000 s/f house, already. Couldn’t imagine a 300 s/f house. It would be absolute madness.

1 Like

I live for two weeks every year in an 8’ x 8’ treehouse (did y’all miss me? I’m back!) which I build and tear down for the occasion. This year was unusually challenging because I stupidly forgot to bring my 12’ wooden ladder for entry and exit.

I am always quite happy to get back to my big rambling old factory-turned-farmhouse home. In my experience “living tiny” means mostly living outdoors, which is great for limited periods if you’re reasonably young and healthy and there’s not too much weather.

4 Likes

It’s a little more goatse to me but yeah

2 Likes

While I’m sympathetic to these kinds of accusations (and what with the constant rediscovery of things like gardening “urban farming”, sewing, anything “artisanal” and DIYing in general it’s a target rich environment these days), I still have to say that it’s a good idea that simply has to start somewhere. I haven’t listened to this so I don’t know the tone of it, but for several reasons it’s not a bad idea for some, not all, of us to chose to live in smaller dwellings. To do that requires chipping at both the legal barriers cities and counties put up, as well as the social norms that encourage oversized living space. To get adoption, it has to seem acceptable and smart rather than an indicator of poverty, and I don’t know how to make that happen without offending families who live this way out of necessity.

2 Likes

That’s… over the line IMO. Ewww. Not necessary to bring that guy and his junk into this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.