Locals in town hit by toxic train fire don't trust officials' reassurances

Originally published at: Locals in town hit by toxic train fire don't trust officials' reassurances | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Two words: Flint, Michigan.

28 Likes

If i lived in the area i certainly would not go back if i had the choice to temporarily stay somewhere else.

18 Likes

Here’s some more…

Joranda del Muerto desert, New Mexico
Love Canal, Niagra Falls, New York
Three Mile Island, Londonderry, Pennsylvania

Feel free to add any more. :man_shrugging:

21 Likes
24 Likes

Hinkley, California (see Erin Brockovich)

22 Likes

That reminds me of black communities who have had to bear the burden of toxic waste…

23 Likes

People in surrounding areas are concerned, too, but the response is very different (not sure if that is due to differences in affiliation of the leaders in that city and state):

11 Likes

WV as well. It’s a broad area impacted.

16 Likes

That reminds me of black communities who have had to bear the burden of toxic waste…

ah but the fox"news" lie machine has already grasped upon that unusual state of affairs to vomit forth: “How dare an environmental disaster happen to mostly white people! we blame Biden!!!”

Right-wing pundits leap on Ohio disaster as proof Biden administration is ‘waging a war on whites’

“Kill that EPA for being slow to help when a Democrat is in the White-house! kill that anti-business EPA now that a Republican is in the White-house! We’re a victim at all times! Feel oppressed! And now this word from Big-pharma: ‘Are you feeling oppressed? try Zapressoxydon!’” -sigh-

11 Likes

Hunters Point, San Francisco, CA

17 Likes

Hercules, CA

Though the Wikipedia article doesn’t dwell much on the toxic legacy of the Hercules Powder contamination. You can’t eat anything grown in Hercules; you can’t hunt game that lives there. The bay front areas are known for their wild turkeys, which can’t be hunted because they are toxic.

18 Likes

cut taxes when times are good, and cut taxes when times are bad. one fix for everything.

14 Likes

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

All the GOP have anymore is that, deregulation, and hate. That’s literally all they have.

17 Likes

Bhopal

9 Likes

That covers leveraging white supremacists and The Cruelty Is the Point™.
But.

Aw c’mon, The Greed Community is more that just that.
How about “disrupt, defund, destroy”?
Or DARVO? “Deny, Attack, Reverse Victim and Offender”?
Or “Firehose of Falsehood”?
Or “malice disguised as incompetence”?
… see also “quiet part out loud” and “crime family of grifters” et al.

/s

Time for me to go do chores outside. This list-making is not helping my morning vibe.

10 Likes

Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans Lower Ninth Ward

Texas Refinery Explosion, Texas City (how TF did that facility pass its inspections for years?) :thinking:

Deepwater Horizon spill and use of Corexit, Louisiana and Gulf States:
https://digital.lib.washington.edu/researchworks/handle/1773/39181

8 Likes

Christmas In Rockefeller Center GIF by NBC

6 Likes

That’s the trouble with going around drinking the water and dodging death, if you die doing it they’ll somehow find a similar official to replace you by.

5 Likes

Barack Obama Yes GIF by Obama

7 Likes