Lockpicking Lawyer humiliates Schlage's "100% pick-proof lock"

That makes me wonder what happens if you apply more than those 9v, like a lot more - hopefully it fails closed. Not that that’s much different than someone stuffing gum into the keyway or something I guess, so probably not much of a practical issue.

1 Like

Hate to break it to you, but if that’s a length 4 code as is usual for PINs, you are looking at 24 possibilities, not thousands.

Whoops! I took too long to write this! @sqlrob

3 Likes

I’m just gonna say that you need a piece of wire with the right bends in it to make this hack work. You might even need to live in a building with one of these locks on your door and take it off of your door for five minutes to fabricate that fancy piece of bent wire.

1 Like

It almost looks like this is a case of poor quality assembly rather than poor design. If that tab that he is working past was properly tightened against the back case, it shouldn’t be possible to sneak a wire past it.

2 Likes

It’s the old adage:

you don’t need to make YOUR place completely secure. You only need to make it more secure than the place next door.

2 Likes

That piece that the wire slips past has a notch in it to allow the tab to be folded over. Whoever designed the metal wasn’t paying enough attention to sneaky ingress paths.

2 Likes

The old adage: Locks keep honest people out.

4 Likes

They had $600 push-button locks on all the lab doors at work. Half the time, the combo was written on the door jamb.

7 Likes

The Maginot Line of home security.

1 Like

Hotel locks (if they’re not networked) have a removable cover plate with a keyed cylinder underneath. They also flash an error code when the battery pack drops below a certain voltage so housekeeping staff can let the maintenance crew know to replace the batteries.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Beyond what everyone else has said about how thieves don’t pick locks, it’s worth pointing out that LPL is one of the best lockpickers in the world. He competes in locksport at the highest levels and has designed at least one unique picking tool. He’s much closer to an illustration of what highly trained state actors or corporate infiltrators are capable of, not the average person who might want to rob you.

If you’re worried about pickers as good as he is, you should assume that they have obtained and disassembled a version of your lock

8 Likes

Like people have been saying, anyone who is interested in dedicating the time and effort to develop a skill like this can probably find a job more lucrative than residential burglary.

5 Likes

I have a safe with an electronic control here–the batteries are accessible from the outside without opening the safe. Thus you can change them if needed. I would assume they provide some equivalent here.

1 Like

The electronics have to act to let it open. Burn them out and it inherently fails closed.

1 Like

That particular lock has two contacts on the outside just in case you’re on the wrong side when the battery dies. You just hold a 9 volt battery against the contacts.

Yea, this.
We keep the front and back of the house well lit with LEDs and solar lights as well as motion lights on the sides of the house.
I have one of the other Schlage keypad deadbolts on three doors. Not this kind. One of my favorite purchases for “home improvement” ever. I just change the batteries roughly every Jan 1.
I like being able to give a code to family, dog sitters, etc… They can be easily changed/deleted.

2 Likes

The family or the dog sitters?

2 Likes

Take your pick.

4 Likes

but the lock is pick proof :thinking:

2 Likes