Lockpicking Lawyer humiliates Schlage's "100% pick-proof lock"

Allegedly GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

A family member had an ingenious “lock” on his house. It was just two little metal circles, smaller than the head on a standard nail on the wall near the garage door. But if you pressed metal (like a regular door key) up against both circles at the same time, it completed a circuit and opened the door. You wouldn’t even know it was a lock by looking.

(It did make his home less secure for those of us in the family who knew the secret, but I guess that was a risk he was willing to take.)

4 Likes

A lot of ‘professional’ thieves are one trick ponies - they learn 1 or 2 B&E techniques and use them exclusively. These folks don’t have other skill sets; stealing is their profession.

3 Likes

I just figured that they would target people with significant expensive possessions- that were easily transported.

I probably have more to worry about from a low level smash and grab guy than a pro.

2 Likes

You’re confusing professional, i.e. someone that makes their living doing a particular set of tasks, and expert, a person that has a highly developed skill set. :wink:

2 Likes

It’d be a bigger surprise if this worked reliably(especially if the board was designed with deliberately sacrificial components in the right places with the possibility in mind); but the motor is probably among the more tolerant components; and the little MOSFETs commonly found doing lowish voltage and power DC motor driving can definitely fail short rather than open; so it wouldn’t be a total shock if at least some administrations of suitably vigorous stimulus ended up allowing you to drive the motor from the power inputs without the cooperation of the (almost certainly dead at that point) microcontroller and RF side.

Also, in the context of electronic locks, it’s really, really, annoying that ‘fail open’ on the electrical side means something totally different from ‘fail open’ on the lock side; especially when having the electronics fail open is what will help the lock fail closed; and vice versa.

3 Likes

OK, so what if you’re stuck in the safe? :expressionless:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.