Loki's retro-tech world is the best 19A0

People may knock AppleTV, but I have noticed that Apple still rocks the color and crispness. Heck, even the AppleTV+ WebOS app on my LG television looks a lot better than Amazon Prime Video or Disney+ does. Netflix is also pretty good. I guess the company that made the first CMS (ColorSync) and the first digital video support in the OS (QuickTime) still knows its stuff.

So yeah, I’m going to think this is an issue with the codecs used.

As for the aesthetics of the series, I would think we are all forgetting the main inspiration: the future as predicted in the paintings of Syd Mead. His work in the 1960s and 1970s promised us the 1980s we would have had if Carter had been reelected, Schmidt survived the no-confidence vote and Thatcher never came to power. The future the 19A0s shows us with views from those what-if timelines.

1 Like

The 1984 movie had a similar look and feel, but maybe a little less detailed and a little more careworn. I think it preceded Brazil but only by a few months.

2 Likes

That trailer is great. Everyone knows about the amazingly inappropriate Eurythmics music that was crudely slapped in but actually seeing and hearing it is 🤌

2 Likes

I’ve only seen it once, back in the mid '80s but I was heavily concussed at the time so my memory of that movie is pretty sketchy too!

But the trailer does look good.

I don’t think either of them happen without Alien. It’s whole grungy, chunky buttons thing was hugely influential in general.

And it had of course been burbling in sci-fi in general for a long time. Not just with Syd Mead, though he was the hallmark for a lot of productions. But that’s sort of how you get a direct visual through line from Star Wars to Alien. That goes ahead and hugely influenced a bunch of stuff in the 80’s.

It’s makes a lot of sense to me that as that aesthetic became retro it would shift towards a more stylish take. Retro futurism has always been heavily influenced by past graphic design, fashion and what have. Classically your looking at a lot of deliberately stylish spins on 50’s rocket age stuff.

So as that drive shifts to consume 70’s and 80’s bleakness. You’ll get a Loki.

2 Likes

I would disagree that Alien was a Jonbar point for 1984 or Brazil.

I think the aesthetic of Alien (and also Blade Runner) and other sci-fi movies of the late '70s/early '80s (Silent Running is another good example) was straightforward futurism. It wasn’t a retro aesthetic referencing something that came before, but rather an extrapolation of the state of the art at the time.

It was a sort of straight-edged futuristic aesthetic that can be seen in these two randomly chosen, deliberately non-iconic items from the mid '70s…

Vintage-1975-Hitachi-Trk-5030E-Radio-Cassette-Recorder-_1

So the design of those movies was an extrapolation of this design language, with a bit of militaristic design thrown in. And as you rightly point out, it was a lived in, worn universe rather than a bright bold shiny new one.

This is confusingly referred to as retro design now, 40 years later, but I think a much better name for it is Cassette Futurism. (Everything is retro now, perhaps because we are living in the post-future!)

1984 and Brazil on the other hand, were both retro futurism, and coincidentally they were both referencing the same stuff but in slightly different ways. The aesthetic of 1984 was a depiction of the year 1984 as seen from the Post-War-Austerity Britain of the late 1940s. It took those conditions and imagined how things would look if Britain had been at war for the intervening time.

Brazil was made in the 1984 but set in a near-future dystopian reflection of 1980s Britain - all bumbling bureaucracy, poverty and violence. The aesthetic was part Cassette Futurism (Jill’s jumpsuit and the Scammell truck that she drives, Harry Tuttle’s SWAT style equipment) and part Retro Post-War-Austerity Britain (Sam’s Messerschmitt Bubble Car, his baggy suit and the Enigma Machine styling of the office equipment). I think the retro aesthetic was to underline the inadequacy and outdatedness of the bureaucracy.

Edit for typo!

4 Likes

I (still) am not sure I have a good handle on what the ‘19A0’ asthetic is, so I was looking at the BB articles tagged.

Anyone else notice this?

3 Likes

But that is what makes it 19A0s. That’s the decade that the 1970s thought was going to happen and in the 1980s had already happened but was forgotten except as a kind of ptsd fever dream.

3 Likes

I wasn’t saying that Alien isn’t 19A0, just refuting the point that @Ryuthrowsstuff made that Brazil and 1984 were influenced by Alien.

1 Like

Well yeah. What I said was mining that now is retro futurism. And that by the power of Retro Futurism, things that mine that era’s futurism tend to do it stylishly. Rather than the gritty and deliberately non-stylish many of these films shot for.

That’s what retro futurism is. Last decade’s futurism.

I’m going to disagree with on it being straight futurism though, or extrapolating the state of the art at least. Because while it wasn’t meant to be retro, Alien wasn’t exactly meant to be standard futurism either.

The intent on a lot of it was not to show the state of the art or what things would look like in the future. But to take things that were already fairly common at the time as the basis. Computers and equipment were based on normal office console/mainframe setups and industrial equipment. Clothes were normal street clothes and work coveralls. There were glass bottles of coke, paper magazines, everyone was smoking. A lot of the “in space!” aspects were rooted in what was then current in space exploration. If you sent a message you had to wait for response, just like NASA in the 60s. The space craft design was heavily rooted in early space station designs,

Much of the material culture of that film is no different than what was around the people watching the film. The most advanced stuff still closely resembled things they’d been hearing about and seeing in the culture for years. And functionally worked the same (or worse).

There were a couple of goals with that. Part linked to “truckers in space”, lived in aesthetics. Where old (by the time period of the film) tech would be the sort of cheap, durable and available you’d see in that context.

But they were also looking to show stagnation. Things hadn’t neccisarily gotten super advanced, they were just more pervasive. And in space. That now as the future bit is one of the more influential things the film did.

The most super advanced, state of the art thing in that flick is Ash the god damned robot. The crew are unfamiliar with such things, unaware it’s on board.

A bit more than that Alien is a dystopian movie. We’re seeing working class people beholden to an unseen but all controlling corporation put at risk for the sake of that corporation’s goal. The Captain (management) is the only person aware of what’s going on or able to interact with them, and is revealed not to have his crew mate’s interest at heart. The single most advanced piece of technology we see, is direct from the company. And will strangle you with milk and a paper magazine to protect the company’s goal.

This should sound a bit familiar.

You’re closer to the mark on Blade Runner. But Alien is not wedge shaped cars and sweet jam boxes. It’s green command lines and pipes. Tiny CRTs, boxy switches and inscrutable blinky lights all over everything. And a brutalist version of that circular couch from the 60’s.

Because it’s 40 years later. And that aesthetic is retro now. I didn’t, and have never seen a person argue it was meant to be retro at the time. Though from what I understand the Alien production did a lot of looking at things from about 5 years before they started. It shares quite a bit of design language with 2001, and the two often get discussed as a sort of bracket around 70’s sci-fi. With Alien being a transition point into what you’d see in the 80’s. Blade Runner on one hand, things like Brazil on the other.

Also Total Recall

4 Likes

I prefer Cronenberg’s Shivers for the OG 70s palaeofuture vibes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.