Long before Darth Vader, James Earl Jones on Sesame Street

[Permalink]

1 Like

I find it amusing that he thought the Muppets would “terrify” children, because I recall as a child being terrified whenever this segment came on. I don’t know if it was his menacing voice, or the black turtleneck, or the fact that he was bald…it just freaked me out so much I would run out of the room.

4 Likes

That is terrifying!

Takes all that time to reach zed, and messes up. Such a shame.

6 Likes

Seriously, I’m glad I’m not the only one freaked out by this.

I thought this guy was terrifying (relevant part starts at 2m 00s). I remember running behind the furniture.

wow, i remember this. so weird that i did not know until this very moment that it was him.

I know the role came many years after this video, but secretly… I was still hoping he would sign off by saying peace, love, dope!

Viewing it as an adult, I was thinking along similar lines – without the Sesame Street logo, Jones’ recitation of the alphabet looks like the behavior of a madman.

…and this is CNN. It would have been so much more awesome if that was the face we saw emerge from the helmet at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

Well, there’ll be a Star Wars overdub of Vader using this in a few minutes.

3 Likes

Yeah, Darth Vader/Thulsa Doom was worried that kids would be terrified by muppets?

And before James Earl Jones, David Prowse in Darth Vader:

Proof that having a British accent doesn’t necessarily make you a more convincing villain.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.