Look at this crowded line of people waiting for their turn to climb Mt Everest

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/30/look-at-this-crowded-line-of-p.html

1 Like

If I ever thought that might be something I wanted to accomplish in my life, seeing that photo wiped out any desire to do so.

34 Likes

The number of frozen bodies on Mt. Everest is now reportedly in the hundreds. You’d think more wealthy thrill-seekers would pick another hill to die on these days, if only for the sake of originality.

28 Likes
7 Likes

Currently there is no line to get to the bottom of the Challenger Deep.

15 Likes

My understanding is there are two variables driving this 1) Everest is the tallest 2) It does not require extensive mountaineering skills. Who knows, the risk of death may be part of the allure too. If someone added firepits to Mt. Kilimanjaro it could probably land a lot more rich folks.

13 Likes

And each one of them is thinking: “I am the only truly awesome person worthy to be here, these losers need to get out of my way.” It’s like the Ayn Rand Circle of Hell.

25 Likes

Usually when we say an accomplished person is standing on the shoulders of those who came before him it’s just a figure of speech.

At Everest it just means you have to climb up a pile of dead mountaineers to reach the summit.

22 Likes

This photo just gave me such anxiety. What if you were in line and suddenly realized it wasn’t worth the risk and you wanted out? There’s no room on the ledge to go down. You’re trapped.

5 Likes

If this is anywhere near the summit, where are all the O2 bottles and masks? I can’t imagine all these folks are so badass such that they are ok with the thin air.

Maybe there is more info in the InstaPost, but I didn’t click through to it. And I don’t read fluent #hash#tag#so#well.

1 Like

Too busy surviving to pick up trash

1 Like

I think the Onion got it right:

33 Likes

Technically, it sort if has those already; the Kibo still has gas-emitting fumaroles in its crater.

3 Likes

So is it officially a hipster thing to do now?

2 Likes

Freezing to death is now sexy? No thanks.

1 Like

So true, this shit is Ayn Rand all the way.

3 Likes

I bet every time someone jokes “Winter is coming” the group just chucks them off the ledge.

10 Likes

It’s a well known fact that frost bite will rob you of your sense of humor.

4 Likes

I get cranky before the temp even makes it to freezing.

2 Likes

Especially considering that this tough mother has already done it 25 times. Seriously, I’d be ashamed to admit I even tried it knowing I had to rely on someone else to even survive. Tenzing Norgay actually had to save Edmund Hillary’s life so he could summit.

5 Likes