Look how cool these old Soviet calendars are

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/look-how-cool-these-old-soviet.html

5 Likes

Did you spot any Antarctic exploration vehicles?

3 Likes

I’ve been watching that doco and was pretty much convinced that I’d found my ideal house - until I learnt that the interior was constantly full of diesel fumes

7 Likes

Come for the calendars, stay for the gulags!

1 Like

Or an ekranoplan?

4 Likes

The cover graphics remind me so much of the playful title and end sequence graphics of the Zagreb animation studios circa 1960 (located in a former eastern bloc country).

3 Likes

I have one from 1980!

12 Likes

The cover on the right reminds me of the Human Bullet from The Tick cartoon show.

4 Likes

Right, because capitalism would never be accompanied by mass imprisonment and ceaseless propaganda. (Although to be “fair” in capitalist America, the state keeps it’s hands “cleaner” by outsourcing both to the private sector, and - bonus - someone is getting rich from the suffering so it’s a Better Brand™ of suffering.)

6 Likes

@frauenfelder The search term that yielded results for me ended up being russian tear-off calendar. (though most of the results were womens’ and russian orthodox calendars) There’s even an app on android, apparently

edit: oh cool: https://smartmuseum.uchicago.edu/exhibitions/revolution-every-day/ (both the exhibit and the book)

3 Likes

You will be haunted by the ghost of Josip Broz Tito tonight.

4 Likes

You will need to get the slightly out of register printing as well, to add the ephemeral aesthetic.

You might like this

2 Likes

That looks great. Thank you for letting me know about it.

2 Likes

You’re defending the Soviet Union with moral equivalance to capitalism and the US. What’s reality like where you are?

Meh. So what’s new.

1 Like

Khrushchev disbanded the last remnants of the gulag system in 1960. It appears these calendars are from the late 60’s.

If by GULAG you mean the specific system managed by the Main Directorate of Camps, that was indeed shut down by Kruschev. If you mean forced labor camps for political prisoners in general the Soviets still had some running through 1987.

Maybe ask a person of color that question…

1 Like

Thanks for the “well, actually…” coming over the top of my “well, actually…”, but you’ll have to ask the person who used the word “gulag,” I would suppose.

can’t you attack both systems, without ideological bias?

2 Likes