Lorem Ipsum but for images

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/30/lorem-ipsum-but-for-images.html

7 Likes

That’s how I feel inside when thinking about politics.

But I agree, the problem with using this as placeholder images, say if you are making a mockup, is that a pictures carry context and you’ll spend a lot of time explaining to a client that, “no, there won’t be a duck there,” or worse, “I know you like the duck, but we can’t use that duck. How about another duck?”

4 Likes

let’s see what I get for 250/350

https://picsum.photos/250/350

looks like I get a link in Discourse.
there may be a way to get the embed but I forget

I once had a client think that the term “dummy text” referred to him specifically.

This problem has no solution.

8 Likes

That’s very nice but I’ll stick with PlaceCage for now.

Just attach an “under construction” gif like we used to do in the old days.

9 Likes

Hah! I’ve had clients complain that they couldn’t read it. One asked why we put French in there.

3 Likes

My boss is the actual living case study for the need for Lorem Ipsum. Incredibly eye for detail, zero attention span for context/filter. The other day, I was opening up a browser window in the conference room to show a website I had been working on. She sat bolt upright, and said, edging into panic, “Go back, Go back”

Me: Wha…what did you see, [boss]?
Colleagues in the Room: [grip table]
Boss: Something, something about unemployment numbers! Why did we post that?!
Me: What, Where?

long story short, it had been a “suggested reading” story on Firefox’s “new tab” screen. Crisis narrowly averted.

3 Likes

throwing a “.jpg” onto the end of the url (ie https://picsum.photos/id/315/250/350.jpg seems to work

5 Likes

You could just use a rectangle. Seems to me this could lead to a document going out the door with an un-substituted photo of a puppy.

4 Likes

I don’t think these are right at all, as they are actual content. I think probably Lorem Ipsum for images should be some sort of random colored shapes which have just enough structure to look like real images, but not actually be of anything.

4 Likes

Perhaps deep-dream images through a heavy mosaic filter.

2 Likes

pozzumne habere hamberder?

8 Likes

Coincidentally there’s a virtually identical “kitten ipsum” site out there that does the same thing as picsum, but exclusively with kittens

3 Likes

This client intentionally left blank.

3 Likes

A rectangle? Next thing you’ll tell us is to use some weirdo app like “Freehand” or “Inkscape” for layouting instead of MS-Office as serious people do. GIFs are industry standard and they still will be industry standard in 1000 years!

1 Like

Of course these photos will end up being left in on the final product. Especially in corporate brochures and websites where the actual photos used resemble these no-meaning images anyway.

2 Likes

For client presentations, Lorem Ipsum is always a disaster.

1 Like

Here I was, writing an article on Ambien, and I needed a meaningless placeholder image. Voila:

oops.

1 Like

But what document wouldn’t be improved with a picture of a puppy?:dog: