Los Angeles area will have to let its lawns go brown, starting June 1st, due to historic drought

My neighbor down the street just tore out their hardscape/native plant front yard and rolled out sod, right before putting their house on the market. Guess they’re assuming home buyers would be more attracted to grass than cactus.

3 Likes

Yes, what happens with golf courses, fountains, and such? I can’t seem to find it in the order…

6 Likes

Rich folks don’t have to be inconvenienced, let’s be reasonable please. /s

11 Likes

We’re on tank water. (Rural area of New Zealand). During dry summers we just don’t water the lawn or ornamentals–just the veggie garden. The grass burns off but grows back in the fall when the rain comes back. We might loose a shrub or two but we grow mostly drought-tolerant plants.

4 Likes

No such restrictions are placed on farmers and other industries, which use way more water out in California. I do think it’s a positive thing to encourage people to plant more native flora that use less water and plant less grass, but that’s such a small part of the problem.

3 Likes

Well, when the greens at all the golf courses in SoCal turn brown, I want photographic evidence. Until then, this is just gov’t lip service applying a policy they won’t enforce on the largest water wasters in the region. Middle & lower class neighborhoods stopped watering the grass years ago. How about draining all those swimming pools too?

4 Likes

Well, you’re hemorrhaging a lot of blood but we’re going to put a band aid on it. If that doesn’t help in several hours we actually do something useful … maybe. Assuming you’re still alive and all that.

Total ban now! Augh!

I mean, yeah, I feel the same way about watering lawns anywhere, dammed polluting and wasteful things.

4 Likes

So Cal here. A few years ago we replaced our back yard sod with decomposed granite. No longer watering there except for the occasional hose for the trees. Our front yard, all ~400 square feet of it, gets watered every other week at best, and that’s just make sure that the magnolia tree doesn’t suffer too much. More watering would just mean more mowing.

4 Likes

Here’s to hoping that recluse spiders bite them on their private parts.

2 Likes

“This is a crisis, this is unprecedented… le’ts allow once a week only…”

Once a week is plenty too much.

When there is restriction in France, it’s 0 unless you have your own water tank filled from rain water.

3 Likes

Well, farmer incomes depends on water to grow plant.
Not the grass in front of your door.

1 Like

Different crops use different amounts of water. Almonds for example need a crazy amount of water, and in a place like California where water is an issue dumping that much water into the ground becomes a problem. And like i mentioned, other sectors use a high amount of water but they’re generally not restricted

3 Likes

Meh. People should let their yards go wild anyway… better for the environment.

7 Likes

They’re waiting until June? Our watering restrictions in Vancouver kick in this weekend. Lawns can only get watered once a week from now until October.

3 Likes

And it is enforced with fines. All this for a damp city.

“Vancouver is a very nice place if you like 400 inches of rainfall a day,” Duchovny quipped.

“It is kind of like a tropical rain forest without the tropics.”

3 Likes

Oh, NOW I feel like I’m going to throw up…

Many US states ban the collection of rainwater in barrels, cisterns, or by constructing catchment systems. But I do have the downspouts on my house directed towards my apple trees.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this and quite suprise such law can exist.

What are the possible reason (excuses) for this?
Thanks

Different states have varying reasons. I cant imagine why Illinois restricts water capture though. We get plenty of rain

3 Likes

Mosquito control is the reason given in my area.

4 Likes