Los Angeles County Sheriff's sued for $50 million for killing 80-year-old man in "meth raid" that found no meth

Or the classic non-apology: “I’m sorry if anyone was offended that we shot an innocent 80-year-old man”.

1 Like

And so Heisenberg still eludes the long arm of the law!

1 Like

Yeah, you almost had it, except for the innocent part. They’d dig something up, like a past speeding ticket, if they had to.

1 Like

Sure, I get that a civil case can be beneficial, but I was wondering why there isn’t a criminal case against the cops?

I’d go a step further and argue since the warrant was ‘smell’ based that they had no real reason to be there in the first place. A smell is not probable cause. Lots of things smell like other things and a nose cannot be questioned or examined in court.
Since the warrant was improperly issued, the entire operation seems like a criminal enterprise whereby armed people conspired to invade an elderly mans home to the benefit of the invaders criminal enterprise.

1 Like

TFA had a rather damning quote from an officer in some outside jurisdiction, noting that while weed allegedly has a suitably distinctive odor, a ‘smell test’ for meth is seriously dodgy, given that the drug itself doesn’t smell like much, and that most of the ghastly ingredients used in home cookin’ smell like assorted innocent household/garage ingredients, mostly because they are.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.