Lou Reed, guitarist and rock music pioneer, has died

ברוך דין האמת

Fortunately I did get to see him perform once.

Lou Reed, Laurie Anderson, and . . . Peewee Herman!

http://pic.twitter.com/MyxBOTjE5e

http://t.co/MyxBOTjE5e

(Edit: And yeah, that photo was taken by Salman . . . Flippin . . . Rushdie)

6 Likes

I found out this afternoon, then had an outdoor dinner party to attend. Rode my Loud Bikethere and listened to Heroin and Waiting For My Man on the way there, then Loaded during the party, then Sister Ray and White Light/White Heat on the ride home. It was fitting.

Man, my mind just kept reading the rest of the lyrics.
But it’s “Sword Of Damocles” that I can’t stop thinking about.

1 Like

…I’m relatively younger, and got into Lou when I was fucked: young, psychologically retarded, and taking a lot of hallucinogens. An older friend showed me VU and it fit, him and Mo and Sterling and John just fit like a puzzle piece. His lyrics really helped, they increased me. Anyway, almost twenty years later I finally got to witness Lou Reed at the Montreal Jazz Fest, where he made at least one third of the crowd demand a refund because they ‘should have been warned’ that his trio set with Laurie Anderson and John Zorn was going to be an whorl of lsd-drenched, electroacoustic, deep listening, music. About twenty minutes in, one flatlander yelled ‘play some music, already!’ Lou looked pissed off, and Zorn stopped what he was doing to call back, ‘If you don’t think this is music, fucking leave.’ At that moment, a bunch of people got up and left. The room immediately had a different atmosphere, and the trio adjusted accordingly. They threw down an amazing piece of work, I can’t even remember the length, it was so there. Yeah, he totally knew what he was doing. Fucking rights. Really good for people. Too bad the second liver didn’t help more.

3 Likes

So many independent radio stations (KEXP, KXLU, KCRW, to name a few) are doing extended Lou Reed tributes today. From the VU to Songs For Drella, I’m truly surprised at how many songs I can sing along to.

There’s no Michaelangelo coming from Pittsburgh!

LOL

1 Like

Sometimes when I’m at a loss for words I turn to music, and Lou Reed was one of those I turned to most often. This particular one has always been one of my favorites. It’s appropriate for this time of year but now seems even more poignant.

1 Like

It’s always tougher to take the news of a Happy Mutant passing. This is profoundly saddening news.

1 Like

I feel the need to say something, but it is too big and too sad.

Rock would not be the same without Lou Reed.

1 Like

I will say this; on my Facebook feed it is unanimous, from the drunks to the artists to the intellectuals, everyone is mourning Lou Reed. I haven’t seen this kind of consistency before.

1 Like

Sad Song.

Now somebody else will have to break both her arms.

Speaking of bad influences, this comic didn’t help much either…

Meanwhile, yesterday the local classic rock station played the edited version of “Walk on the Wild Side,” after which the DJ identified Lou as the “Godfather of Rock.”

1 Like

@SpunkyTWS:
Also good for Halloween:

(Sorry for the ad)

1 Like

“No Money Down” preceded by a sales pitch…no need to apologize because that’s funny.

1 Like

Look at this fucking banana album cover. Just look at it.

3 Likes

Condolences.

Taylor from KXLU, in her unmissable Sunday night show The Windmills Of Your Mind (11 pm Pacific Time), even played a track from Laurie Anderson’s “Big Science”, a thoughtful nod to the new widow.

Pictures of Lou with Laurie Anderson break me up the most, I think. They always look so happy together. They did when I saw her live, too.

Lou Reed is one of the few artists/musicians who can really cross all sorts of boundaries… they guy was a true original and an absolute legend. He is going to be rightly mourned by everyone who knew his work, I think.

1 Like