Louisiana moves bill forward to classify abortion as murder

Maybe the Dems should pass a federal law banning Erectile Disfunction pills. You can’t get a gal knocked up with an unwanted pregnancy if you cant get it up at all!

2 Likes

Or… maybe we should take this shit seriously, and stop proposing joke laws in response to women losing their rights… Just a thought, maybe.

19 Likes

sigh

I’m not suggesting that Louisiana residents need to leave Louisiana because it’s a terrible place.

I am suggesting that there’s a lot of work to be done in Louisiana and elected officials ought to be busy trying to make things better for their voters, not criminalizing half of the electorate because of their biology.

17 Likes

I’m feeling ashamed to be from Louisiana at the moment, but I will work to get these fucks out of office.

Some details of just how fucked up this bill is:

From the “Definitions” section of the bill

(7) “Person” includes a human being from the moment of fertilization and implantation and also includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not.

*(the strike through indicates wording to be deleted from existing LA law that already bans abortion)

The majority of fertilized eggs are aborted naturally, and there is no possible way to determine if an fertilized egg did not implant. They are explicitly criminalizing women

The unconstitutionality of the bill is as in your face as the misogyny. They claim power to strike down federal laws and the primacy clause of the 14th amendment, and to impeach any judge that disagrees:

E.(1) Any federal statute, regulation, treaty, executive order, or court ruling that purports to supersede, stay, or overrule this Section shall be in violation of the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Louisiana and is therefore void.
(2) This state and its political subdivisions, and agents thereof, may disregard any part or whole of any federal court decision which purports to enjoin or void any provision of this Section.
F. Pursuant to the powers granted to the Legislature by Article X, Part III, of the Constitution of Louisiana, any judge of this state who purports to enjoin, stay, overrule, or void any provision of this Section shall be subject to impeachment or removal.

20 Likes

Thanks for posting the link. I should have done so, but was very tired when I posted this morning. Haven’t slept well the last few nights, laying awake thinking about this fucking vile shit and what it’s going to do to our nation.

11 Likes

Thank you!

ETA: I went there, and they want a 30 day history of posting to Reddit. I wish I had the time to establish this but I don’t . I’ll need to look elsewhere.

For now:

5 Likes

So, they’ve criminalized abortions, fertility treatments, some types of contraception (hell, they’ve probably criminalized most contraception, because of false beliefs that various contraception prevents fertilized eggs from implanting - the truth won’t matter), miscarriages, late periods… (because never mind that most fertilized eggs are not even viable). So basically criminalizing women who can give birth.

Oh, that they’ve already done, effectively.

And even if they don’t, you know that false beliefs that they do will form the basis for legal action.

We’re seeing something analogous with Texas declaring supporting trans kids to be child abuse - people whose kids became adults before the policy went into effect are being investigated by the state. So yeah, they’ll absolutely do this with abortion. (Especially since it’s more or less existing law.)

Yep. Specifically women potentially capable of giving birth.

18 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

18 Likes

Margaret Atwood // “I’m waiting for the first lawsuit. I’m waiting, you know, for the lawsuit in which the family of the dead woman sues the state… And I’m also waiting for a lawsuit that says if you force me to have children I cannot afford, you should pay for the whole process. They should pay for my prenatal care. They should pay for my, otherwise, very expensive delivery. You should pay for my health insurance. You should pay for the upkeep of this child after it is born. That’s where the concern seems to cut off with these people. Once you take your first breath, it’s out the window with you. And, it is really a form of slavery to force women to have children that they cannot afford and then to say that they have to raise them… People have to decide what kind of world they want to live in. Are we in favor of forced childbirth? Because that’s the world that we are going to get if we shut down reproductive rights. Right to life is one way of putting it. Forced childbirth is another way.”

19 Likes

Since the red states all have stand-your-ground laws, an affirmative defense by a pregnant woman can be that she terminated the abortion because she “felt threatened” by the fetus.

11 Likes

And, unlike the usual application of those laws, she would be right.

And those National numbers are worse in states that are enacting these laws:

14 Likes

Fucking Ghouls :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

12 Likes

So could a pregnant woman who miscarries (whose child was “killed by God”) file a wrongful death civil lawsuit again Him (or more properly His agents here on Earth, the Church)? The Church has deep pockets and if He doesn’t appear to face the charges shouldn’t she win a default judgment?

Picturing them needing to put a few church buildings up for auction to pay the judgments (and ideally having an organization like The Satanic Temple buy them up) makes me smile a little bit.

4 Likes

Unfortunately it’s far more likely that a woman who miscarries will be arrested and charged with murder.

18 Likes

The thing about that is the young people who have any talent or potential will flee the state as soon as they are able, thereby stripping it of its pool of human resources; on top everything else wrong with the state, this is how you kill your community.

16 Likes

Truth. This is what happened to WV. Young, educated, progressive folks fled at first opportunity, not because we hate the state, it is beautiful, but because we could see there was no future for us there. What is left is the MAGA pit that you can see so clearly.

13 Likes

EXACTLY.

These draconian, misogynistic power grabs are going to hurt the states that are attempting them, but in the meanwhile countless people will suffer needlessly before they figure that out.

11 Likes

Well, yes, and that would bother someone who cares about the future of their community.

It is pretty clear that the vast majority of Republican politicians don’t care about the present of their communities let alone anything as uncertain as the future.

8 Likes

Oh gods, I’m not thinking dumb/awful enough, either - they’ve also criminalized surviving an ectopic pregnancy, not to mention they’ve criminalized one twin absorbing the other in the womb. Will they wait for the surviving embryo to be born before charging it with murder? As a red state, will they treat the fetus as an adult? If the resulting child is a chimera, with DNA from both twins, will it legally be two people? If the answer to all those questions is “no,” then they don’t actually fucking believe their own position, do they?

Someone pointed out that it’s substantially more dangerous to be pregnant in this country than to be a police officer - you’re more likely to die as a direct result of a pregnancy than for cops to die on the job (even including commuting accidents, etc.).

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.