Love cheats' hookup site hacked, user data purloined

I’d be psyched to have that list of people available to anyone who might want to date me, and I’d not be above perusing it if I were to be interested in someone who had had a divorce and seemed dodgy about it. Marriage means more to some of us. Nothing against your standards, and their applicability to yourself - so long as you’re honest about them. As far as I know. :wink:

1 Like

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Look. Adults can do what they’d like- I’ve got no problem with people having open relationships or whatever else. But (and maybe this is just me) I believe it should all be done on the up-and-up. So a website that promotes stepping out (presumably without the other half’s knowledge) getting hacked for user data makes me laugh from my belly.

7 Likes

Although the amount forked over in a class action lawsuit may be greatly limited by how few people will want to join the suit and admit they were using the site.

Basically, just the people who ended up getting discovered by their spouses, or the people for whom the $200 they’ll get out of a class action suit is worth coming clean to their spouses.

If users choose to use AshleyMadison, it shouldn’t be anyone’s business. Personally, I think AM’s choice to charge to remove data is a disgraceful one, but it shouldn’t be a justification for blackmail.

Difficult to stay on the moral high ground if you cut the legs off your hostage.

I got the impression that the full delete feature did delete your personal profile and all the related stuff, but it you happened to pay the $19 fee for it with a credit card, the site ended up keeping the billing address, which includes name, for that card on file. Could be wrong though.

Heh. My marriage means a LOT to me. 26 years and counting, and if my wife ever saw me come up on that list, it wouldn’t be a matter of her becoming a divorcee so much as a widow. Just saying it’s not really my business what others do in their own marriages. (Unless, as I mentioned, they’re actively trying to impose hypocritical value on others, in which case they become fair game.) Sure, it might be useful to have that list to peruse if I was out there dating, but it would be useful to have potential partners entire financial records available to me too–doesn’t mean it SHOULD be available, though.

Historic payment information kept for a potential IRS audit could easily be kept in air-gapped servers kept off the public internet, and away from the reach of hackers. Again, this forethought and care rarely happens, which is why a sleazeball would be wise, to echo others, keep their secrets off of web-based services.

1 Like

As usual, Paul Ford has an interesting perspective, connecting the lines between Ashley Madison and Gawker.

1 Like

Is there any moral high ground here? Where is it, and who is on it?

Right on, sounds like your wife is your match.

I can’t catch a disease from a bounced check is probably the biggest distinction. Cheating is emotional and physical abuse, IMHO.

Thing for me is this: If there were a site where you could trade insider investment secrets with investors, whether you were the CEO or not, it would be illegal. And it would get hacked.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.