'Love, Me' is a poem crowdsourced from hundreds of letters

Originally published at: 'Love, Me' is a poem crowdsourced from hundreds of letters | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I put the first two paragraphs into GPT-3 AI textbot and I kind of like the absurd results (in italics):

Dear Love,

Seeing you again today has got me thinking. We are at that stage in life where it’s death — funerals, wakes, memorial services — that draws us together.

Should we wait for someone else to die to get together again? For some unknown reason the thought of you taking singing lessons in Bishkek crossed my mind this morning. I hope you are still singing, opening windows and laughing at our absurdities.

Love,

Gigi

A’s Reply

Dear Gigi,

I am sorry. I will not sing again. I am not laughing, either.

I am reading a book on the history of the Furies. My favourite Fury is Allecto. She is the one who delights in stirring up strife and discord — which is what I am doing.

I am staring out the window. I am thinking of you.

Love,

A.

Gigi’s Reply

Dear A.,

I woke up at 3:00 a.m. thinking about the funeral you went to. I know what you mean. I am not even sure who dies anymore. I am not even sure who I am anymore.

Do you know what happened to the Furies? I have been wondering.

Love,

Gigi

*A's Reply*

Dear Gigi,

I wish I knew what happened to the Furies. I wish I knew what happened to you and me.

Love,

A.

4 Likes

If there would be any word that might keep us from returning our focus to handwritten prose in the form of a letter, rather than in typing emails, texts, comments, and tweets, it’s “epistolary”.

Oh, I dunno. I could see certain segments of the USA going all in for it purely because it’s got “pistol” in it.

Plus of course, it’s communication as the Founders intended. Tweeting doesn’t appear anywhere in the Constitution, you know…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.