Lovecraftian rant about the horrors of Blackboard

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Moodle is the wsy to go. I refuse to use Blackboard.

1 Like

No doubt BlackBoard is dreadful. I would recommend Canvas by Instructure any day. Luckily that is what my place witched over to after spending years on WebCT. The cool thing about Canvas that it has iPad apps and is built around making it very easy to grade. Donā€™t get me wrong it has its moments, but much better than nearly anything I have used.

3 Likes

Taught in it full-time for nearly three years. For 18 months of that, we kept being promised an upgrade to a newer version at some ever-moving date in the future.

I once counted how many clicks it took me to set up my courseroom including ā€œprivate feedback areasā€ for each of my 25 students. The number was well over 1000. I had RSI within a few months of starting that job, and all the physical therapy and adaptive technology in the world couldnā€™t really mitigate the effects of the horrible design, impossibly kludgy UI, and shitty Java implementations.

4 Likes

Has anyone checked out hub.edu?

1 Like

Java is an affront to humanity and should be destroyed. It has literally no place on the desktop and only serves as a vector for malware infections. Only the laziest, most unsympathetic coders would insist on using it. Itā€™s easily replaced with a number of other, better implemented frameworks, for instance .NET, which itself isnā€™t wonderful, but is certainly better than Java.

Every time I see an unnecessary java applet I die a little inside.

5 Likes

Fortunately, Iā€™ve never had to use Blackboard. The two schools Iā€™ve taught at moved on from Blackboard before I started. One moved to Moodle, which Iā€™ve had great experiences with.

The other moved to Sakai. Which I really donā€™t like. Moodle seems very dynamic and flexible. Very user friendly. Sakai is frame-based and really clunky for creating an integrated course with easy to follow flow.

Iā€™m told Sakai has fans and was told by the university tech people itā€™s better. But I donā€™t know anyone, teacher or students, who like it.

1 Like

part of me feels bad for agreeing with you, since my dad worked for Sun before the Oracle buyout (he was part of the team that made Java 3D) but yeah, modern java is a bloated, insecure, overused crapheap.

1 Like

I actually attended a Blackboard meeting on Thursday. The sound crashed through the whole session. It was a trainwreck.
Not a fan.

Have you seen the percentage of campus laptops with a distinctive glowing fruit adornment? Desktop java is, indeed, a pox on mankind (and really has no place in a ā€˜web interfaceā€™); but it does have the advantage that there is a JVM for approximately every turing-complete thing with sufficent RAM. Other options, less so.

4 Likes

I am oblivious regarding Blackboard, but I canā€™t read ā€œLovecraftian rantā€ without thinking about that lovely StackOverflow bit on parsing HTML with regex (previously on BoingBoing).

And thereā€™s that old Penny Arcade comic; Iā€™m still waiting for the day someone causes a sh*tstorm by trying to inflict that on an oblivious member of the public.

1 Like

Fine then. Most of this stuff could be coded in python easily enough. And pythonā€™s fairly portable. Use that instead.
Anyway blackboard is a webapp. Whenever I used it, it was just a java plugin in a browserframe that went back to some server on campus. It should have been written in HTML, Javascript, CSS, some kind of database (take your pick) and perl/python/php/ruby/asp/coldfusion.

Thereā€™s no reason to use Java for anything really anymore. There are tons of solutions to replace it, and a number of apps I support at work crash every time a Java update rolls out. Also any time IE gets updated. Also anytime chrome gets updated. Also anytime a new version of the corporate VPN client is pushed out. Itā€™s a godawful mess right now. Our time-keeping system has been broken for a week because of a non-optional java update we canā€™t block unless we block Java from even using HTTP ports. Which would break the timekeeping applet all over again.

3 Likes

This is why I just build Wordpress-based sites for every class I teach now.

3 Likes

Oh, donā€™t get me wrong. I completely agree that they should quit pretending and build their ā€˜webappā€™ using actual web technologies. Wrapping a big chunk of java in a thin HTML shell is about as ā€˜web basedā€™ as putting a win32 executable on your server and claiming that itā€™s ā€˜web basedā€™ because users can download it over HTTP.

My point was just that, if somebody is depraved and/or forced enough to use java applets on the desktop, javaā€™s ability to be equally frustrating across all major platforms and some minor ones is a fairly major advantage. Even Flash doesnā€™t have quite the same breadth, and sucks at least as much if not substantially more.

Using a JVM on the server is substantially more defensible; but is also largely invisible to the poor users.

(At work over here, we have some very expensive-and-fancy-when-they-were-new heating/cooling control systems with java based interfaces. For the moment, carefully maintaining IE6/Java 1.4 is more attractive than shelling out ~30k per unit to have the vendor swap the boards, no software update here, everything burned into hardware; but it hasnā€™t created warm feelings about java.)

Yeah. Cross-platform frameworks are very important. Iā€™d be delighted if one actually existed and it wasnā€™t shite. The closest Iā€™ve seen is Python, but thatā€™s really not saying much. Thereā€™s so much variation in the executable libraries of the numerous spinoffs of Python that it seems thereā€™s a lot of room for improvement.

As it is, Iā€™m simply astounded that every minor Java patch and update manages to almost completely break backward compatibility with my companyā€™s timekeeping software. Itā€™s a common software too, Iā€™ve used it at every job Iā€™ve worked.

Either Java is just garbage, or the timekeeping software is terribly designed, or both. And Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s both.

1 Like

That reminds me of a discussion I once had with a developer about an ā€œimprovedā€ interface for my main work program. I pointed out that functions that had once been activated with a single click now required a minimum of three. He replied that three clicks wasnā€™t ā€œa big dealā€.

I said, ā€œIt is if itā€™s something youā€™re doing a hundred times a day.ā€

That led to the inevitable reply of, ā€œWell you just need to change what youā€™re doing.ā€

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of Blackboard so I googled it and all I got was instances of Blackboard at various education establishments. Seems like a bit of an SEO fuck up there.

Well, for a Lovecraftian bit, there is Charlie Strossā€™s bit on Perl: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/old/attic/perl/lurker.html

We use Canvas now at the community college network in my city. I quite like it. Or at least what little Iā€™ve used of it thus far.

Oof, yeah. I take classes in Blackboard now (including web development classes) and it is the worst.