Lubing your cables for fun and safety

It’s obvious to anybody that this is another audiophile post, as all us True Aficionados know that lubing your speaker cables reduces noise.

1 Like

After the magic rocks I put on top of my speakers, everything else is just playing in .0001s of change.

4 Likes

If you care enough to choose GoWesty, you care enough to go the extra .0001s.

I personally use bicycle wax lube on all my cables, bicycle and motorcycle.
It is usually a wax suspended in another solvent that flows easily down and through the cable housing.
It dries after a few minutes and the wax is left, coating and sealing the cable inside the housing.
Finish Line and White Lightning make good products.
Some concern might be that the heat of an engine slowly melts the wax out of the cable housing.
I’ve never used a clamp on luber before.

yeah, they do well at manufacturing great tools. spelling, however… :smile:

Lubing cat-6 cables will result in bit slippage which is notoriously bad if you are dealing with TCP/IP. In that case what you want is speed holes.

2 Likes

I hate that stuff, you can’t tell what it’s going to be like in fifteen years when you try to pull the cables back out. Like as not it’ll turn into something like plaster or half-dried wood glue.

You’re better off planning your cable pulls so they don’t need lube. Use big conduit and large radius curves, and when you can’t do that, use fittings with access plates for pulling instead of just throwing a 90 into the conduit.

I think of cable lube as the last refuge of a desperate electrician.

I’ve not had to pull more than single cables, at home, without conduit - and from what I gather I should be glad I’ve missed it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what you want to do is to put more zeros than ones on the wire they generate less friction so you get higher speed and less wear on your switches.

1 Like

Providing that the zeros are properly aligned. For optimal results, all ones should be sent lengthways, providing the smallest possible cross-section to the cable and all zeros should be adjusted so that their circumference fits the individual strand of each cable. However, this will mean that the ones will pass through the center of the zeros, causing loss of sync.

Using the unique “Bit Under-run Line Length Shaping In Transport” algorithm, only MartianTM branded equipment keeps the ones and zeros at the ideal aligment and rate for the discerning home networking enthusiast.
Remember, If it doesn’t contain BULLShIT, it’s not Martian.

2 Likes

Cheaper to just go with speed holes in the cable runs than reconfigure all the routers to push more zeroes. Don’t forget that for ATM routers that option isn’t available so speed holes in your fiber is even more important.

Be sure to routinely upgrade your speed holes with the latest service packs. An unmaintained speed hole can easily degrade into a memory or k hole.

Interesting, thanks. And do you remember for sure that the problems with equilibrium were reported in the case of the 260m tether along with the 30m tether? I figure that in this case, if the end of the tether is rotating at 50.5 m/s to produce a centrifugal acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2, then if someone moves sideways (perpendicular to the axis of rotation) at a speed of 5 miles per hour (2.235 m/s) in the rotating frame, the Coriolis acceleration should be 0.87 m/s^2, which seems pretty mild (plus I would think people’s heads normally move a fair bit slower than 5 miles per hour when they’re going abut their daily business).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.