Luke Skywalker is a jihadi who was radicalized by the Jedi

Well, except for the fact that the Jedi are referred to as a religion no fewer than three times in Episode IV alone.

17 Likes

That is a very serendipitous typo, considering Han’s character in the first film.

6 Likes

So, how’s the script coming on Episode IX?

How did Mad Magazine know?!

8 Likes

Let me know when modern jihadis have any demonstrable supernatural powers whatsoever, and not just Stone Age dogma.

The main problem I have with any sort of religious fundamentalism is that it’s all faith-based. When you can literally force choke some choad across the table, you’ve made a pretty compelling argument that there’s more to your position than ardent wishful thinking.

5 Likes

As with all things Star Wars, the prequels were even worse:

A group of religious radicals is employed to enforce the laws of the government, settle trade disputes, broker peace talks, negotiate hostage situations, the works. The only oversight comes from within the religious order itself, as does all responsibility for vetting new recruits. When a sufficient number of members of the religious order decide that a member of the government is dangerous, they take it upon themselves to attempt to assassinate him; no due process, and no government approval needed. When a member of the order slaughters an entire village, there is no trial.

Awesome.

8 Likes

So? That doesn’t make it true.

Some people think Yoga is a religious exercise.

I guess in a broad sense one could characterize it as one, but it never felt that way to me. Like I said, it was more of a Martial Arts order. Clearly based on the concept of the Samurai. The Samurai share some things one could call a religion, but I have never heard it called one.

I mean we never see an actual single RITUAL or even the trappings of religion, other than meditation. Take off the light saber, and a Jedi would just blend in with half the galaxy.

And IIRC the 3 times in ANH it was used to disparage and belittle the concept. To equate using the force was as stupid as believing in a god.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. "

"Don’t try to frighten us with your sorcerer’s ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels’ hidden fort-… "

"The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that’s left of their religion. " <-- does support your point, some.

5 Likes

I only remember twice, both of which were dismissive of the Force and Jedi (Admiral Piett and Han Solo, respectively).

1 Like

Well, a martial arts system led by internally selected leaders that forces celibacy on its members and recruits slave children to inculcate, sure. Sounds kind of like a religious order though.

I proposed this to my gaming group but people did not seem to have good ideas. :smile:

5 Likes

Then that might make four, since I don’t recall the Piett quote.

• Grand Moff Tarkin: “The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that’s left of their religion.”
  • Admiral Motti: “Don’t try to frighten us with your sorcerer’s ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels’ hidden fort–” (choking)
  • Han Solo: “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
5 Likes

Sorry, I meant Motti, not Piett. Looking it up, Piett wasn’t even in IV.

The latter two quotes were what I were referring to as “dismissive.” Tarkin might be a little more objective on the matter, and was certainly less insulting, but neither Motti nor Han were showing the Force any particular respect when they called it a “religion.”

Wookieepedia, of course, has a list of different force sensitive groups. I hope the new movies (and the new book canon) bring up this type of stuff. I remember finding the Lost Tribe of Sith (not mentioned in that list, as I guess they’re technically Sith) fairly interesting as well, because they had a different power structure from the “movie Sith” due to being isolated from the rest of the galaxy for a couple thousand years. And then there was the original Sith species, as well.

No, that’s just a demonstration of the value of ‘double tap’ strikes and effective integration of social network analysis into a comprehensive counterinsurgency strategy.

Had the empire simply integrated population records, they could have determined immediately that there was a discrepancy between the actual and expected kill count and assigned a long-endurance strike craft to loiter above the site.

Had they done so, Luke would have been a smoking hole in the ground before Obi-wan could finish saying “Wait Luke! It’s too dangerous!”.

There’s no such thing as a bad idea, just a failure to apply it hard enough!

So, basically what the CIA might have been if their wacky experiments with extrasensory perception, brainwashing, and similar had actually worked? Seems legit.

1 Like

I can empathize with them; I talk about Scientology in the same way.

7 Likes

There are a bunch more in the Legends (Old Expanded Universe) page: Force-sensitive | Wookieepedia | Fandom

Try watching The Hidden Fortress, and maybe you’ll get it.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Aing-Tii, Fallanassi and Ysanna.

On my list.

Not to mention that Beru and Owen weren’t killed by droids, uh, drones. If you’re going to analogise to modern Earth, the best equivalent would be an Army patrol, or even assassination via Special Forces team, a la Bin Laden.

1 Like