Luke Skywalker is a jihadi who was radicalized by the Jedi

#Very fucking good!!!11!11

5 Likes

And highly effective it was, too. [/sarcasm]

Three: He doesā€™t actually seek to kill his his father but in fact refuses to fight him.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean to humble brag, Iā€™m just so used to the US having films come out before the UK that it didnā€™t occur to me that it wasnā€™t out over there yet.

1 Like

I think that was actually the point of this exercise, which a lot of people seem to have missed. Itā€™s just another way of saying the villain is the hero of his own story. No one thinks of themselves as evil. Not even Hitler.

Same here (Germany). I came home last night at 4:30 AM and was looking forward to the whole Internet being filled with Star Wars discussions, only to find an eerie silenceā€¦

Mageto did!

4 Likes

The universe isā€¦ quite large. Jedis are few and far between. I scientifically estimate [1] that you get less than a Jedi per planet, which means the overwhelming majority of the population will never have seen a demonstration of the Force; even assuming Vader and Sidious liked making explanatory videos (which is unlikely), you could easily discount them as staged propaganda. By the time Episode IV starts, an entire generation across the universe would also have lived without ever seeing a single Jedi, not even in the small numbers you had before. At that point, it would be surprising if anyone blindly accepted the Force as a real thing.

[1] by pulling numbers out of my ass, as most experts do

4 Likes

Maybe in the golden and silver age comics, when everything was still white hat/black hat, but in the comics today thereā€™s no question he sees himself as part of a persecuted minority that the majority is hell bent on exterminating. And heā€™s not entirely wrong.

1 Like

And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.

3 Likes

Right, but Luke began to see demonstrations of supernatural power very early on. And not long after that, he was using it himself. Before he ever set foot on the Death Star, he knew the Force was not just wishful thinking.

The demonstrations only became more compelling over time as the movies progressed. No ā€œfaithā€ was needed, other than in oneself to master the power.

It doesnā€™t matter what the rest of the populace believes. The person being ā€œradicalizedā€ was shown proof of the supernatural. And he was not shy about demonstrating it in front of othersā€“same as Vader. Thatā€™s a different animal than traditional religious teachingā€“in every meaningful way.

5 Likes

Exactly. The plot had to be twisted in an unconvincing way to force a confrontation among the royalty.

Jabba the Hutt = Baron Harkonnen?

3 Likes

Itā€™s cool. I am just being bitter. And old. I am waiting until a Sunday matinee.

2 Likes

Friday in assigned seats in a theater that has beer!

5 Likes

Iā€™m waiting until late January.

1 Like

I am jealous. On the other hand the theater here that serves beer would not let my kid in. So in just about 4 hours the kid and I will be headed to the theater to get in line.

1 Like

Being bitter is a sacred right of being old, so enjoy it.

2 Likes

Han is referred to as a nerf herder, but he isnā€™t one.

1 Like