Mac OS update adds support for fancy external video cards

FYI you won’t see much in the way of gains unless your application is using the new Metal API. Old GL applications barely see any improvement over the crappy internal graphics thanks to Apple’s old and busted GL implementation. Even in the best case you’re still going to bottleneck on the interface since it has considerably less bandwidth than a PCIe 3.0 x16 port, which was already a bottleneck in some cases.

The ‘recent’ part makes it a different discussion, though. I buy Macs because a machine that can be used for most of a decade is extremely cost effective. What is the resale value for a four year old iMac that can’t be given enough RAM for modern life?

The only reason my 2007 MacBook is still in use (or at least was some time last year, haven’t checked recently) is because I was able to put in a decent SSD and more RAM than was possible back then.

1 Like

As someone who’s been using the same Mac Pro since 2008, I’m eager to see what they eventually come up with. I was not enamored of the small, non-expandable, extremely expensive new Mac Pro, and am glad I didn’t invest in it, as they never bothered to update it. I hope the new “modular” Mac Pro, whatever form it ends up in, arrives before my aging desktop decides it’s too old. But for a 10 yr old desktop, it’s still awesome.

3 Likes

Can they change genders?

1 Like

Take it from me, you weren’t missing much.

1 Like

Can someone please shove the whole idea of a non-modular PC up the arse of those engineers designers?

3 Likes

I will be honest…I am fine with a non modular machine. It has it’s place and uses. the issue is that has pretty much become ALL of their computer lineup…that’s the issue.

1 Like

Exactly.  

2 Likes

1 Like

As far as I know there is no four year old iMac that can not be given RAM.

I just recycled my 2012 iMac, because the NVIDIA display controller in it died and anytime it did any work, the system would lock up. I sold it to a recycler for $800CDN. And it didn’t even work.

My replacement 5K iMac (which can have upgraded RAM as well, thankyouverymuch) will probably last me at least as long, and I will probably get a significant amount of money back when I resell it, especially if it still works.

Prior to my 2012 iMac (which was my first Mac desktop, btw), I never kept a desktop for more than three years, and they had near-zero resale value as well.

I’m excited to have an upgrade path for the GPU for this new iMac. Given that plus RAM upgradability, I’m pretty sure I’ll be keeping this system even longer than five years at this point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.