Machine learning hucksters invent an AI racist uncle that predicts your personality from your facial bone structure

Um, I have a unicorn, and can sell you the piss you need.

It’s only $100 a gallon (plus shipping), and a word of warning, since it’s real magic, if your application of the piss fails, it’s kind of like prayer in that the failure is obviously your fault for not wanting it to work badly enough.

I’ll admit to often being hyperbolic in the defense of what I think is an under-made case. Like I said, statistics help us predict the future to the extent the future is relevantly like the past. Knowing when we can reasonably rely on that to be the case is a difficult question.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.I appreciate your honesty, and I often feel similarly.

That’s why selecting the right hypotheses is so critical. ML/AI used uncritically, like in this example, is just leading to more nonsense. We could maybe compare it to classical stork/baby correlations, but using fancy new wording. (Hmmm… Haven’t thought that through, maybe I’ll do on my commute later.)

I seriously doubt it. We have some algorithms that can very roughly predict certain personality traits based on eye tracking, i.e. what things you linger on, how quickly you shift your gaze, etc., but that has nothing to do with anatomy. Artificial Intelligence: This Algorithm Can Predict Your Personality by Tracking Your Eye Movements

2 Likes

There’s no art to find the mind’s construction in the face. (Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 4)

:slight_smile:

Seriously, though, this could work. We don’t know that the physiological drivers of personality variation don’t influence the structure of the face. Bodies do weirder things all the time.

It could work.

Bet you it doesn’t, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.