Macron defeats far-right Marine Le Pen in unappetizing French election

Between her high votes and the “I’d rather be Russian than a Democrat” fascist merch in the U.S., it seems the true joke is on us, and the next set of cold “proxy” wars will be fought in the northern hemisphere. Welp, I for one will be laughing bitterly while I flip through my undergrad copy of “Neighborly Adversaries” in my guerilla camp in the Bear Mountain Park when some South American intelligence official orders an F-18 to strafe the whitehouse.

6 Likes

Who’s France’s equivalent of Mike “Loony” Lindell?

2 Likes

Stop that, please; defeatism helps nothing.

She didn’t win this time, and that matters; that said, forces for progress must keep ‘fighting the good fight,’ for the struggle for freedom is never truly over.

26 Likes

The unspoken assumption there is that she’ll win eventually if things continue as they are now, which should tell everyone the importance of working to change them.

20 Likes

“Suppressed” is a good word, especially since making it difficult to vote for poor people in US is an intentional policy.

12 Likes
7 Likes

I would have thought that year three of a pandemic that left millions angry at everything and everyone in general and them™ in particular was the best situation she was every likely to get. If she couldn’t win this year, then I wouldn’t bet on her next time.

8 Likes

France would still insist on we here calling it “sparkling wine”… but I’ll keep calling the stuff “champagne”… just to piss off their right-wing.

Champagne, champagne! Champagne! Champagne! Champagne, champagne!

3 Likes

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

She hasn’t won yet, and it’s not inevitable.

See Jon Ossoff GIF by Election 2020

8 Likes

7 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.