Macy's pulls fat-shaming dinner plates after complaints

True enough. I was aiming for “undeniably unhealthy”, for example extreme obesity where a person has trouble with most daily activities (even images of the Buddha don’t make him out to be quite that heavy.) As for personal taste I suspect the community of those who fetishize extreme obesity is pretty small. And while I would never denigrate anyone afflicted with it, I also don’t believe any culture should encourage that as an acceptable look, any more than they should accept amputation if that were to become a trend.

Trailer is NC-17. So possibly NSFW.

2 Likes

That would be much better than what they actually did have on the men’s plates, which was pretty … lightweight

3 Likes

As we all know, jokes have absolutely no effect on the rest of human society. All humor is naturally separated out into a hermetically sealed area of the human brain that doesn’t affect other thoughts and so is of no import to the rest of human society. For example “dumb blonde” jokes have never taught society that women are less important and less able than men.

14 Likes

Ah…I just thought of a good, but apocryphal example of calorie absorption and variation: Lactose intolerance.

My neighbor and I both have one foot in a gene pool that generally lacks the enzyme lactase. We started comparing notes one day, and found we both use a borderline ‘disordered eating’ trick with ice cream. Neither of us eat it more often than maybe 2 or 3 times per year, but when we do, we buy a pint and eat the entire thing in one go. If we ate the recommended serving (one fourth of a pint), we would be able to digest that small quantity of lactose, and therefore, also absorb all the other calories - dairy fat, refined white sugar, etc., that make up the ice cream. BUT…if we eat the entire pint, the quantity overwhelms our ability to digest the lactose, and we get a bout of diarrhea - we absorb NONE of the calories from the super-serving of ice cream.

The calorie count on the ice cream may apply to other people without a lactose intolerance, or if we only ate one serving size, but it doesn’t apply to myself and my neighbor when we are gluttonous.

5 Likes

Hey Apu, got any of those potato chips that cause diarrhea? I need to do a little spring cleaning.

3 Likes

The foodie ring makes me sick. Instagram democratized this pseudo bujie foodie culture, complacently starving themselves while bragging about how much they’ve spent on an appetizer sized meal while people are actually hungry.

1 Like

That explains why whenever someone goes on an unhinged racist tirade, they always say it was a joke

9 Likes

It’s a standard excuse to pretend that jokes somehow have no real meaning and it’s pure bullshit.

10 Likes

Macy’s might need a little bankruptcy shaming. Here ya go:

THE MACY’S BANKRUPTCY; Chapter Starting at Macy’s, Ending at Federated

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/28/business/the-macy-s-bankruptcy-chapter-starting-at-macy-s-ending-at-federated.html

I don’t understand why people would eat jeans at all.

4 Likes

Fax those to my email webspace.

2 Likes

What I find missing from the comments here and elsewhere is that there really isn’t a target audience for these plates other than the “mean gift” segment. You would never buy them for your own home, and the only people who would buy them are people planning to give them to either skinny friends or to friends who keep talking about diets. Which makes for a really shitty product. No one will ever use these plates (with the exception of people too lazy to wash up so they use whatever plates are still available).

Really, the question of if portions are an effective dieting tool begs the question of why anyone would buy this. As the only answer to that is “to be mean”.

It makes me question the mentality of the designer who came up with these plates, and why he or she thought it would be so funny. Also the judgment of that designer’s team lead, and the managers who okayed it. But hey, there seems to be money to be made in making stuff for passive aggressive bullying.

11 Likes

I think it’s sad that Macy’s felt the need to pull the plates.

Capitolism! Jobs! Commerce! There’s three reasons. Do you need more?

You think Macy’s deciding not to continue purchasing a newly unpopular product isn’t a capitalist decision?

That’s funny.

16 Likes

Well, I can hardly think of two less equivalent rights than the right to kiss in the street vs the right to provide a poorly-screened storefront for stupid 3rd party “humor” plates.

In any case though, a boycott is simply saying “Your carry of this product hurts your reputation as a seller with me, and all who join this boycott” Hardly censure. Wards’ opening salvo of “How do I get this banned” is pointedly red meat for Freeze Peachers and I’d have gone with “Well this is hurtful and in poor taste” but generally I’d much rather defend her phrasing than these counterproductive plates.

5 Likes

MAKE AMERICA PLATES AGAIN!!!

Made OF China. Close enough.

11 Likes

Yep. I think that’s the real reason, that Macy’s had a look and saw that these plates were not going to do well. Spiteful gifts are often just shelf warmers.

7 Likes

These were plates made in Poland (I checked out of curiosity).

I’m pretty sure losing one client didn’t mean they then fired all the plate makers in Poland, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re making other plates, at the factory, right now.

(For anyone wondering about BUT THE JOBS in the global novelty joke dishware sector…)

12 Likes