Macy's pulls fat-shaming dinner plates after complaints

Is it Capitolism [sic] for a company to be forced to carry a line of products that are no longer profitable because one person feels like it’s valuable?

13 Likes

God this “but the jobs” stuff is insane. I don’t even care if it caused an entire factory to shut down when Macy’s pulled these plates. American personal debt is $4T. Most Americans are spending more than every dollar they make. It’s being spent on something. If not these plates then something else. If the theory goes that people not buying a product means other people lose jobs then leaving these plates on the shelf just costs jobs for some other company whose products don’t get bought because the money went to the stupid plates.

Job numbers to express faux concern for working people as fuel for the culture war machines of the oppressors.

And, since these are made in Poland; Poland has an unemployment rate of 3.8% and also has a personal debt crisis. Don’t worry, they are in the same capitalist death spiral as the US.

12 Likes

Someone has a product that nobody wants and that Macy’s doesn’t want to sell, yet they should be forced to sell it anyway? That’s not capitalism, that’s not even “capitolism”.

Like I said, enjoy sixth grade. I hope you learn a lot.

14 Likes

Now I’ve started wondering: Maybe doing things that entitled white guys think are amusing regardless of how they affect others is capitalism? In practice, I mean, not in theory.

11 Likes

“You’ll buy tat for a dollar!”

So, yes, pretty much.

4 Likes

I think capitalism is the manifestation of all that entitled white guys have to offer the world and that entitled white guys are all that capitalism has to offer the world so long as that’s true.

7 Likes

See, now there’s a novelty plate idea:

Lazy Plate
If you are using this plate,
DO THE DAMN DISHES.

I might put that at the bottom of my stack of plates.

10 Likes

Speaking as someone who actually pays bills by selling useless crap (eBay, etc.), I always remember what I learned in one of my high school capitalism classes:

Vote with your dollar

If you don’t like a product or a business, don’t give them your money. If there’s no demand, the supply doesn’t get sold. The supply then becomes a liability for the seller.

It’s a less noisy version of a boycott. A lot of businesses have failed from alienating their customer base, one-by-one.

3 Likes

Oh, crap! I have a pair of Lazy Underwear!

5 Likes

Petition to rename “central planning” to “capitolism”.

9 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, and agree. That doesn’t mean that we should condone cruelty, though, and shit like this is pretty cruel.

10 Likes

I feel sad that someone felt the need to make a joke at other’s expense…

12 Likes

Right? Lots of sad things in this:

It’s a novelty item that has a mean spirited joke that you are ostensibly supposed to look at while you eat, exists just to make money off of selling people whatever the fuck you can because money is all that matters in life and buying shit is the only way to show value that most people even understand anymore, it serves a purpose that can easily be served by another cheaper product with better aesthetics or comedy, it is probably only useful as a mean spirited prank on some one, and will end it’s lifecycle in a mound of garbage that is literally suffocating this planet. Yes, it’s sad, but also fuck those plates and while we’re at it fuck Macy’s too.

12 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

9 Likes

Since then, online orders have tripled, said Mary Cassidy, who co-owns Bedford Hills, N.Y.-based Pourtions with her husband, Dan Cassidy. She said their business, which was founded a year ago, has been overwhelmed with positive feedback.

The brand, peppered with smiley faces, provides the following mission statement on its website:

“Walk down any street today and one thing becomes immediately clear: we have really let ourselves go. Waistlines are exploding like the national debt. Arteries are jammed like Grand Central Station at rush hour. And there are plenty of helpings of blame to go around — fast food, slow metabolism, excessive elbow-bending. POURTIONS was created to help you take back the power and counter this unhealthy trend.”

It’s crazy to me…there are so many other ways to practice portion control without negative self-talk at each meal.

11 Likes

Why do you find these rights so inequivalent to one another?

Each of us goes from personal experience, of course, so the analogy I chose reflects my own concerns, but as a gay guy in a country where liberalism hasn’t won as the default position of the thinking classes and where to be identified as gay in public isn’t really so okay, I’m quite reliant on the “if you’re bothered by seeing something that I’m not forcing you to watch, just look away” argument. So as not to have the Bible thrown at me, I am also reliant on moral relativism.

So, to me, the phrasing really matters. No problem with saying “these plates insult my morals, so I’m not going to buy them”. No problem with saying “these plates insult my morals, so I’m never going to shop at Macy’s again.” But, perhaps for my own egotistical reasons, l am no fan of the position “this insults my morals, so let us get it banned.”

Do I find these plates shitty? Sure, but I still do not view myself as the arbiter of some great moral truth. So I’ll happily tolerate ambient shittiness that is not forced upon me in exchange of similar tolerance of my behaviour that others would find likewise outrageous or morally insulting.

1 Like

I know. Fagioli all’uccelletto literally beans little bird style it’s actually vegan. The joke is because is a poor dish eaten by people that weren’t able to buy meat and eaten beans with tomato sauce.
Shtrozzapreti is a kind of pasta and literally merans choke priests.
But IMH the winner is the Palle del nonno https://www.filoteinorcia.com/salumi-di-norcia/le-palle-del-nonno-detail.html literally grandpa’s balls.

5 Likes

The priests are choking on grandpa’s balls. Good to know.

3 Likes

Oh, won’t someone think of the rich corporations?!?

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.