Magical History Tour

3 Likes

#6 - the bronze one - is clearly a strap on with that base.

4 Likes

Ice age baton… oh my.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting snippet from Vincent Bevins’ excellent book The Jakarta Method:

8 Likes

I have some of her earlier Avant Garde stuff, she was a student of Ussachevsky at the Princeton centre with the RCA synthesiser. Though my memory is her stuff had a fair amount of tape work. And that wouldn’t have pleased RCA who had a record lathe attached to the output like it was 1940 or something. I’m not a fan at all of the Bach to be honest. And I love Bach. I read that she says the new book about her is full of bullshit and has no input from her or people who work with her. Which is a pity as I’d pre-ordered it for “work”.

I used to go to her website in (90s?) Early noughties maybe. Turns out she’s also a map nerd of the highest order. Great stuff.

3 Likes

I don’t want to be a party pooper but as an archaeologist I cannot help but “attempt to conceive of non-sexual uses for the distinctly-shaped objects of this period” as the article says.

It is quite possible that some of them were used as dildos but that is by far not the only plausible explanation and we have to be careful not to use our modern preconceptions when looking at ancient objects. The Hohlefels one in the picture gallery for example was demonstrably used to knap flint. And if you have ever tried to do that you will know that it creates a shower of razor sharp micro flakes. You definitely do not want something that was used for these purposes near your squishy bits. Not even after having washed it obsessively in a nearby stream.

You may laugh at me but I think it’s quite possible that quite a few of those, especially the prehistoric ones, are ritual in nature. Now, that ritual may have involved penetration or they may just have looked at the representation of male fertility. We simply don’t know.

4 Likes

Rule 34

1 Like

I suppose the old archaeologist fallback of “item must be of religious significance” needs to be amended? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m not saying that oh god! was never expressed.

5 Likes

Dear Trump supporters - learn from history- Don’t go down on the SS Trumptanic.

4 Likes
1 Like

Memories, misty watercolor memories

1 Like

Who came first: Crazy Eddie or Madman Muntz?

3 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

“ Kościuszko’s aide-de-camp throughout most of his Continental Army service was Agrippa Hull, a free Black man. Hull’s cleverness and courage convinced Kościuszko that Black people deserved the same inalienable rights for which the war was ostensibly being fought. During their time in the South, Kościuszko and Hull bore witness to the horrors of plantation slavery, a stark contrast to the revolutionary ideals of human equality.”

6 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes