Magical History Tour

When I told my husband what I was writing about this morning, he said, “Oh, you mean the first car.” Yes, he’s being a little cheeky as a former Mercedes salesman—but he’s also not totally wrong.

It’s much more likely that he was confusing Mercedes and Benz.

2 Likes

We’d have to agree on a viable definition of “motorcar” first in order to settle that.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve mentioned this in another thread some time ago, but there is an interesting book I picked up in Ottawa, The Curse of the Narrows by Laura MacDonald. It discusses the tree tradition and the Red Cross.

3 Likes
4 Likes

It’s easy to look at an ordnance survey map of the west of Ireland and pick out the names of villages that no longer exist, because entire populations were wiped out. Clusters of collapsed buildings that used to be settlements. So many anonymous graves.

5 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/29/sistine-chapel-of-the-ancients-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest?__twitter_impression=true

6 Likes

I love this sort of stuff. Hopefully they can do what the French did with the Grotte Chauvet in the Ardeche (a lovely part of France if you get the chance).

Grotte Chauvet 2 is on my list for my next visit to the area. My last was in 2002 before the cave at Chauvet/Pont d’Arc was particularly well known; I paddled right by it… but these images bring tears to my eyes, such fantastic, organic, heart felt work…

4 Likes

Once Blaesing took that next step, requesting an exhumation to prove what he knew to be true, the surviving Hardings suddenly changed their tune, writing letters to the court accepting the Ancestry results and asking that their dead relative’s dusty old boner remain locked in its shroud. But to make the story even weirder, the Times also reports that part of the family’s hesitancy to have the body exhumed could come from the family’s fears that this is really a fishing expedition to uncover whether or not Harding actually died of poisoning at the hands of his wife, Florence:

2 Likes

I wasn’t even aware of this, for some reason I grew up using the NATO alphabet and never thought about why which words/names are used in phonetic alphabets (other that no two words should sound similar).
But yeah, yet another dick move totally on brand. Like replacing STOP signs with HALT signs.

5 Likes

Let’s Remember the Time Ronald Reagan Accidentally Revealed Iran-Contra During an Election Debate

4 Likes
8 Likes

Just a reminder…

7 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

(Apologies to Ohioans, especially those from Toledo)

Old Michigan Joke: Michigan and Ohio went to war over Toledo. Obviously, Michigan won. (Pah dum tish)

But not really:

The best part: In a preview for the Civil War, two brothers found themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. That’s not the good part. Their names were One and Two Stickney.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Now imagine how tragic it would have been if they had fought each other!

(I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the cheap shot)

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t get the reference?

They sorta fought each other. Two Stickney stabbed One Stickney with a pen knife, then fled into Ohio where the authorities ignored Michigan’s demands for extradition.