Magical History Tour

How A Lincoln Continental Used By Martin Luther King Jr. Was Almost Left For Ruin

Interesting read, and not just about the car.

6 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Cross-posted with Black Lives Matter, Still:

5 Likes
7 Likes

Pet Turtles GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

3 Likes
6 Likes

There was a recent episode of 99% invisible that went into the history of alphabetical order, and why it took so long to catch on. Universities balked at people diving into certain sections a book without ‘understanding’ the material first. Indexes were slow to catch on until the total-understanding mindset was broken.

3 Likes

Cross posting this from the BLM thread…

About Black divers who search for sunken slave ships…

7 Likes

Nazi ship causes terror in the South Atlantic and is hunted by British ships. British ships cause damage to the Nazi ship. Commander decides to sink the ship. 67 years later, a group of divers decide to rescue pieces of the ship. A huge eagle with a swastika is pulled from the bottom of the River Plate. Uruguayan government decides to seize Nazi memorabilia to prevent a fascist pilgrimage. Government keeps the ship’s decorative piece in a warehouse. Justice orders the government to sell the huge piece of bronze to pay the divers and the Uruguayan government’s headache is only increasing.

If I was the president of the country, I’d have everything melted down and sold to some junkyard. Then I would give the money to the divers and a box of alfajores de dulce de leche as an apology for the inconvenience.

8 Likes

Alfajor

:thinking: :yum: oh … now those look good …oh damn… available on Amazon… so much for losing those COVID-kilos… :drooling_face:

Edit: oh, yeah, um… melt that damn eagle down, and maybe make it into a nice patio set for the local synagogue… blowing it up works too…

4 Likes

Who needs money? The alfajores are reward enough!

5 Likes

You are right. A good alfajor is such a treasure. I can only find cheap industrialized stuff around. I think it is a good excuse to visit Argentina someday.

It is a nice idea. Starting an auction would bring a lot of crazy extremists.

6 Likes

When the Mary Rose, Henry VIII’s flagship, sank in 1545, attempts were made immediately to recover the guns. The head diver involved in the work was Jacques Francis, a Guinean diver working for a Venetian salvage company. Globalization is not a new thing.

Francis went on to give testimony in an English court of law on behalf of his employers, the first African to do so.

10 Likes

I kind of like a suggestion I’ve seen that basically amounts to taking every piece of Nazi memorabilia and permanently carving it with “NEVER AGAIN”, so that whatever happens it is stuck with its proper context, although I guess these days you might need to spell out “BY WHICH WE MEAN NAZIS ARE THE BADDIES”.

5 Likes

Something like this park about the life in a communist country?

I fear that even if the creators of such a museum on Nazism took all possible care to avoid glorifying these criminals, many fanatics would end up making a kind of perverted pilgrimage.

4 Likes

18 Likes
5 Likes

X-Men Wow GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

that looks like it could have come out of a modern home store…

12 Likes