Magical History Tour

I hit a paywall, so here we go…

https://archive.md/mWlAX

7 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

I had a colleague who had Dr. Stovall on her dissertation committee. His work was phenomenal and I had not heard he’d passed away.

5 Likes

The skeletons will be dated by the team in the coming months; if they date to the same timeframe as the Thera eruption, the human and dog remains would be some of the very few victims of the cataclysmic event ever found.

Well, not counting all the folks who built houses or farmed land prior to 1886, found some bones and tossed them away, thinking them unimportant. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes
2 Likes
15 Likes
9 Likes

Seems to be working as intended in the US!

7 Likes
5 Likes

I’m glad such a precedent exists, even if it was short-lived. Reminds me of this controversy against a group home in Swarthmore. The NIMBY group in that case tried to use residency regulations as an argument. Limiting the number of unrelated people in a home was supposedly an attempt to prevent commercial uses and unofficial fraternity or sorority houses in some towns.

6 Likes

Cross-posted in misogyny:

9 Likes

“ Philadelphia in the late 19th century was home to some of the country’s most successful and celebrated women artists. They studied at the city’s renowned art and design colleges, and worked as illustrators for the town’s top-selling magazines. What they couldn’t do: participate in Philadelphia’s art clubs. At the time, these salons and societies banned women, and offered only men the space to discuss and exhibit work.

So Philly women started a group of their own. They called it The Plastic Club, and later this month, members will celebrate the organization’s 125th anniversary.”

9 Likes

More than 1,700 who served in Congress enslaved Black people; this is who they were and how they shaped the nation

8 Likes
7 Likes

Twitter thread from John Romero

11 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes