Magical History Tour

9 Likes

Bog mummies!!!

7 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

I have been fascinated by these people since I was a child. I think I read about them for the first time in a book or magazine. They described how they were found, how the swamps preserved the bodies, and how some of them carried goods, clothing, and stuff that brought light to the lives of the ancient ones. I was shocked by the description of the ritual murders, but even the gruesome details made me want to know more about them.

Finally I visited the National Museum in Dublin and could take out this item from my bucket list.

3 Likes

6 Likes
4 Likes

The myths are so simple. Real people aren’t so simple.

5 Likes

For those interested in owning an old ticket counter, a baggage claim carousel, gate chairs, or even a jet-bridge; there will likely be a public auction.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/new-orleans-old-msy-abandoned-terminal/index.html

ETA: If I had the money to buy the baggage claim carousel, I would let all the neighborhood kids ride it for free.

5 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

5 Likes

A good reminder of what happened in the U.S. in the 1960’s thanks to the Cold War:

I was actually told by my teachers and the principal of the school that I OWED IT TO MY COUNTRY to become a scientist so that we could beat the Russians.

9 Likes

The US actually pushed the humanities during this period too. Area studies were considered critical to the Cold War struggle. In addition to the NES, the NEH and NEA were all founded in the 1960s to promote people going into ALL those fields.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Principal Poop:
“Line up, sign up, and re-enlist today! Because we need more schooling for more students at Morse Science High.”

– The Firesign Theatre, Don’t Crush That Dwarf…

3 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes