Magical History Tour

6 Likes
5 Likes

monty python GIF

edit:

Jokes aside, these Romans were pretty brutal. What a horrible way of execution.

7 Likes
8 Likes

After reading this*, it’s not very clear how she did it. I learned a lot about Spolin’s father, her son, her grandfather, and how professors today follow in her footsteps, though. I’ll have to check out the documentary and hope it’s more about her life and accomplishments.

*I know authors don’t always create the title, but describing women instead of referring to them by name is a sore point with me.

7 Likes

I didn’t even notice that…good catch!

6 Likes
11 Likes

Reading that with linguistics glasses on, I think we can hear his accent: “in” rhymes with “again” (pin/pen merger), “once more” rhymes “long ago” (/r/ deletion), “sand” with “Klan” (final homorganic reduction).

Just goes to show that the idea of “Punch a Nazi” is older than Nazism.

5 Likes
5 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

Claudette Colvin’s record expunged 66 years after refusing to give up seat

8 Likes

Neanderthals Were Altering the Landscape at Least 125,000 Years Ago, New Evidence Suggests

5 Likes
5 Likes

7 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

27-28 November 1942, the Battle of Brisbane.

My grandfather told me once about what he’d heard about the Inkerman Train incident. When the gossip got to him, it was that there were ANZACs on the train and GIs on the platform, and a gunfight between the two groups when the GIs, as the train pulled out, were shouting to the ANZACs heading to Brisbane to ship out, “don’t worry guys, we’ll keep your girlfriends warm for you!”.

1 Like

The interview starts about 20 minutes in, and the first part is him talking about being Spain and a minute about the Reconquista and how it’s connected to modern white supremacy…

Also, lots of cursing, so maybe NSFW…

5 Likes
14 Likes