Magical History Tour

“I want to be buried alongside my Corell dishware! And don’t forget the gravy boat!”

10 Likes

@KathyPartdeux Archaeologists have unearthed a flawless Roman blue glass bowl

I’m gobsmacked; it’s cast but such nice work. The time to shattering of glass is a Weibull distribution (I’m told by Dr. Jane Cook of Corning) and always, eventually, goes.

And kudos to the guy running the backhoe…

7 Likes

I actually chuckled at that!

7 Likes

It’s a pity so few molds have survived. The brass ones were recycled, wooden ones have rotted away and ceramic ones wouldn’t have lasted either.

9 Likes

Probably the big orange box protected it.

5 Likes

Excellent profile of Bryan Stevenson - covering his depiction in the film Just Mercy, as well as his work with The Equal Justice Initiative and The Legacy Museum:

8 Likes

Today is the 50th anniversary of the Derry Bloody Sunday, where 13 peaceful protesters were shot by British troops:

Bernadette Devlin McAliskey was the only Member of Parliament who was there on the day, and she was refused a chance to speak about it the next day in Westminster:

I posted this above, but she talks about it at some point in this interview.

NYT, a paywall free version…

https://archive.md/uS9A2

More on Devlin, this on the 1969 Battle of the Bogside:

From what I understand, the Battle of the Bogside was one of the key events that led to British troops showing up in Derry, which at first was welcomed by the protesters with Bloody Sunday being another turning point as it became clear that the British troops were going to take sides in the conflict.

9 Likes

Dark magical

7 Likes

The demotic here in Ireland is cha.

Might be a British army thing? I think I’ve heard cha in England too?

3 Likes

40 years later, victory:

7 Likes

Which one is more dangerous?

7 Likes

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

6 Likes

Technically, fast food has killed more people during the last 70 years than thermonuclear bombs have.

The other day I remembered the bit from Super Size Me where Spurlock (I know, I, know…) phones up several nutritionists and asks them how often one should have fast food like McDonald’s. Most of them say something like 2-3 times a month is probably okay.
One of them says that unless there is an emergency like an actual pandemic going on and alternatives are thin on the ground, never.

5 Likes

(Ahem… :us: appropriation alert…) That was :canada:'s McDonald’s making cholesterol soaked inroads into Soviet Russia’s already alcohol-hardened arteries, dammit…

Don’t get me started on Argo…

2 Likes

So I typed “Edward Teller” and “McDonald’s” into a search engine and found this:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/02/larry-mcdonald-communists-deep-state-222726/

3 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

Also for Black History month…

5 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes