Magical History Tour

4 Likes

I miss him. But I miss what he could have been even more.

It’s so frustrating to see the blueprint just lying there, with the unspoken “well, that didn’t play well with the donor class, so we doubled down on what wasn’t working, instead”.

3 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

Great story, in a frustrating, sad way.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Was in a game shop yesterday and looking at the game Secret Hitler and couldn’t get it as the back of the box had this:

At least it was a teaching moment so I could show kiddo what the Liberals actually did:

Got Saboteur Duel instead!

7 Likes

Seth Meyers What GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

3 Likes

They’re crowd sourcing insurrectionist tactics?

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes

Say what you will about Franco, he has a bigger tomb than Mussolini.

What, wait…

4 Likes

This was an interesting take on what has changed in US politics, and how much remains the same:

7 Likes

Hipparchus was a Greek astronomer who compiled his catalog around 135 BCE. Unfortunately, his catalog was lost to the ages. We know of it because four centuries later Ptolemy mentions it in the text of his own star catalog, Almagest , which we do have copies of. The Codex Climaci Rescriptus contains the only direct fragments of the Hipparchus catalog we have. The team first found the fragments in 2017, but this new study has revealed some interesting details, particularly regarding the connection between the Hipparchus and Ptolemy catalogs.

One of the long-standing mysteries was whether Ptolemy copied the Hipparchus catalog wholesale and expanded it, or whether Ptolemy simply referenced Hipparchus while making his own measurements. The team was able to find four constellations within the Hipparchus fragments and discovered their star locations are slightly different from those in the Ptolemy catalog. Surprisingly, they also found that the Hipparchus constellations were more precise, with positions measured to the nearest degree. The accuracy of Hipparchus wasn’t equaled until the Persian astronomer Ulugh Beg compiled his Zij-i Sultani star catalog in the 1400s.

8 Likes